Steam engine

Can any one tell me what this steam engine might be for and is it worth anything needs a bit of a clean and i don't know if it works but everything moves alright. Cheers

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
7 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Steam engine

Have a look at google-donkey engine model etc.

Looks like an old one.

Donkey engine applies to full size engines in sawmill etc.

Make sure you use the word model in your searches.

Hope that helps.......................................................................Richo.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Steam engine

Re usage of the engines--when i was a kid (long time ago)

they were used to run projects made from Meccano...................................Richo.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Steam engine

I should think it could be worth quite a bit of money - mainly because it is a vintage one. See completed item

121510228271 - Renown Model steam donkey engine 1950 vintage
 As Richo says they were used to drive things like Meccano  projects; we had a Ferris wheel, I seem to remember. You can of course buy new ones - the properly made ones cost a fair bit,  even the crumby tin plate varieties make a fair bit on the secondary real life auction market. My husband has wanted one for ages (just to play with in the shed with the grandson) - finally bought one last year (not a nice vintage one like yours) but has not put it together yet - sigh!

If you want to sell it, I would not clean it; if you had the instructions that would help but if it has a brand name they may even be available for download on the Net. There is a bloke (in USA I think - probably several blokes) who sells all sorts of spare parts, kits etc. Good luck!

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Steam engine

When i look at Model Donkey engines in other sites , they seem to be tall. I know this one is vintage because of the information you have already provided which is much appreciated. Is this an earlier version than the tall Donkey engine or a part or section of it. When i look at Mamod style model steam engines on ebay and other sites there seems to be more of a likeness to one of those engines.

I'm in no way questioning your knowledge because i no nothing about this thing  the information already provided which again is much appreciated . Why is this one not tall like all the other Donkey model engines i have seen on other sites. Thank you

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Steam engine

Why is this one not tall like the others on the other sites what is the reason for that. I appreciate the information already given and will appreciate  any more information you can give me . Cheers.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Steam engine

Sorry - about most/all things mechanical I have no idea. Does the word Donkey make any difference? Model steam engine? This may answer some questions

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=167048

The one my husband bought was Mamod type.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Steam engine

Richo referrers to it as a Donkey engine whether thats the name of the actual design or not i don't know but thank you very much for you imput it is much appreciated Thank you.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Steam engine

Have a look at google-donkey engine model etc.

Looks like an old one.

Donkey engine applies to full size engines in sawmill etc.

Make sure you use the word model in your searches.

Hope that helps.......................................................................Richo.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Steam engine

Re usage of the engines--when i was a kid (long time ago)

they were used to run projects made from Meccano...................................Richo.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Steam engine

I should think it could be worth quite a bit of money - mainly because it is a vintage one. See completed item

121510228271 - Renown Model steam donkey engine 1950 vintage
 As Richo says they were used to drive things like Meccano  projects; we had a Ferris wheel, I seem to remember. You can of course buy new ones - the properly made ones cost a fair bit,  even the crumby tin plate varieties make a fair bit on the secondary real life auction market. My husband has wanted one for ages (just to play with in the shed with the grandson) - finally bought one last year (not a nice vintage one like yours) but has not put it together yet - sigh!

If you want to sell it, I would not clean it; if you had the instructions that would help but if it has a brand name they may even be available for download on the Net. There is a bloke (in USA I think - probably several blokes) who sells all sorts of spare parts, kits etc. Good luck!

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Steam engine

When i look at Model Donkey engines in other sites , they seem to be tall. I know this one is vintage because of the information you have already provided which is much appreciated. Is this an earlier version than the tall Donkey engine or a part or section of it. When i look at Mamod style model steam engines on ebay and other sites there seems to be more of a likeness to one of those engines.

I'm in no way questioning your knowledge because i no nothing about this thing  the information already provided which again is much appreciated . Why is this one not tall like all the other Donkey model engines i have seen on other sites. Thank you

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Steam engine

Why is this one not tall like the others on the other sites what is the reason for that. I appreciate the information already given and will appreciate  any more information you can give me . Cheers.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Steam engine

Sorry - about most/all things mechanical I have no idea. Does the word Donkey make any difference? Model steam engine? This may answer some questions

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=167048

The one my husband bought was Mamod type.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Steam engine

Richo referrers to it as a Donkey engine whether thats the name of the actual design or not i don't know but thank you very much for you imput it is much appreciated Thank you.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Steam engine

This one is horizontal not vertical though what's the difference Cheers.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply