Vintage Silver Hair Comb

Hi

Can anyone tell me anything about this hair comb? Is it a fake? I know the anchor means it was made in Birmingham. Any info greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Vintage Silver Hair Comb

looks like a 1808 Birmingham K with the kings head although it could be 1859 - no other K's have that shaped surround

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Vintage Silver Hair Comb

I think it's 1808 - I am by no means an expert but I think just the comb part is silver, the rest looks to be cut steel - a Georgian favourite. Try Googling Georgian cut steel hair combs - they were also known as tiaras. There is a great collection on Pinterest, also an essay on eBay about the subject. Looks like a lovely thing.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Vintage Silver Hair Comb

Personally I believe there to be some alarm bells ringing. To me - the hallmarks aren't quite right.

The k is an 1808 mark (appears fairly right)

The anchor used for Birmingham at that time was a particularly narrow one. Even accounting for wear the anchor is too thick - if there was that much wear on the anchor then the K would be worn as well.

The monarchs head should be facing to the right but it is hard to tell from the image

The Lion for the period should fill the mark - there seems to be a lot of space around the one shown. 

Its always a degree of uncertainty when consulting "armchair experts" like myself when we cant view the hallmarks and the item for overall wear and patina as opposed to just seeing a flat photographic view. From what I have seen however I would be cautious until you seek advice from someone who 'knows' their silver and can see it up close and personal.. 

Ad astra per alia porci — To the stars on the wings of a pig

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Vintage Silver Hair Comb

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Vintage Silver Hair Comb

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Vintage Silver Hair Comb

looks like a 1808 Birmingham K with the kings head although it could be 1859 - no other K's have that shaped surround

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Vintage Silver Hair Comb

I think it's 1808 - I am by no means an expert but I think just the comb part is silver, the rest looks to be cut steel - a Georgian favourite. Try Googling Georgian cut steel hair combs - they were also known as tiaras. There is a great collection on Pinterest, also an essay on eBay about the subject. Looks like a lovely thing.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Vintage Silver Hair Comb

Personally I believe there to be some alarm bells ringing. To me - the hallmarks aren't quite right.

The k is an 1808 mark (appears fairly right)

The anchor used for Birmingham at that time was a particularly narrow one. Even accounting for wear the anchor is too thick - if there was that much wear on the anchor then the K would be worn as well.

The monarchs head should be facing to the right but it is hard to tell from the image

The Lion for the period should fill the mark - there seems to be a lot of space around the one shown. 

Its always a degree of uncertainty when consulting "armchair experts" like myself when we cant view the hallmarks and the item for overall wear and patina as opposed to just seeing a flat photographic view. From what I have seen however I would be cautious until you seek advice from someone who 'knows' their silver and can see it up close and personal.. 

Ad astra per alia porci — To the stars on the wings of a pig
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply