What's it called and what is it for?

Hoping someone can tell me a bit about this item. l've spent well over an hour searching around online and haven't even come close to finding out what this is.

Standing at 6.5cms high, the base is 9cms across the middle and the top flat bit is 4.5cms across.

Stamped with ® AG925 (which is stirling silver, yes?)

Nothing on the base other than a circle of blue felt.

l've tried google keywords in: stand, silver, grapes, pedestal...can't find even a lead to go on.

Anyone have any ideas? l had one of these before and listed/sold it for $14, it sold within minutes of me listing it so l thought l should do some homework on it.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Strictly speaking it should be Ag, not AG, so I'd be a little bit cautious.

There's a company in Israel that produces items with a silver 'skin' (not plating as such, much thicker than that). I'm trying hard to remember their name, but not having much success. If it comes to me I'll post again.

Could be way off track, of course.

I'd say it's one part of a two part item, but wwhat the other part is I have no idea.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Stamped with ® AG925 

That ® implies a trade mark - which suggests to me that it is not sterling silver. You can't register a sterling silver mark.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

there has to be more to it. as an aside, i can't find a ® anywhere on my keyboard. did you all copy it ? 🙂

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Keyboart shortcuts Alt 0174 gives you ® (hold down the alt while keying 0174). Clever, huh?

l found my loupe today and had a closer look at the R. The back of the R isn't straight, there is a slight dish to it and there is a dot in front of it, still inside the circle.

l seem to recall the other one l had (come from a different place) had a bit of damage on it and l could see a white filling inside it. But that one felt way lighter than this one does. l mention that only because when OldWorldlady mentioned 'skin', l clicked that that was what the other one must of been.

Either l solve what this one is, or l snap a bit off to satisify my curosity!

Hard to search in Google when you don't know what the thing is called!

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

thanks for the tip, i dont know any of those. 🙂

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Okay, got the bigger and more powerful camera out.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Could it be a Punchbowl base?

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

At 6.5cms high, it would be a small punch bowl!

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

l have a name (after almost an hour on google).

A compote is a bowl on a stand that you put nuts, fruit, etc in.

This thing is the stand part. It would of had a bowl on top.

At least thats a start!

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply