When is an item "vintage", "antique" or just old?

I have an interest in old woodworking tools and I get frustrated at the careless use of words like  "vintage", "antique", "classic" or when they are nothing of the kind. They are just old!  I've seen tools with plastic handles described as  "vintage"or "antique".

Ebay has a standard for "new" and "used".  There should also be a standard for  "vintage" and "antique".

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

🙂  He's my defintion. Antique is 100 years +, Old 50> 100  Vintage is 30>40. Classic ??? These days, it's all a bit Cloudy. 🙂 

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I agree with horizon, for me antique has always been 100+ years.

image host
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

While we may all have differing views on this (and I would agree that by definition an "antique" should be at least 100 years old)  the OP is talking about eBay. I don't know where tools are generally listed but if you check eBay Antiques category, you will see that one of the sub-categories is Art Deco (1925-1940), so eBay's definition of an "antique" is pre 1940.

Then there may simply not be an appropriate category for eBay listing, especially on Oz eBay where we have FAR fewer listing categories than other eBay sites. One I constantly mention is Sterling Silver. Apart from the Jewellery section, there is no specific category to list Sterling Silver, Silverplate or Other Silver than in the Antiques category. For this reason you will find completely modern "pre-owned" Sterling Silver items - like cutlery, spoons, napkin rings, decorative items - in the Antique category because there is simply no other separate listing category for "sterling silver" items.

To me personally the term "old" as a definition  would be meaningless. To a 12 year old, anyone over 30 is old, while to me 60 seems quite young! I think as a descriptive adjective it's fine, but it would mean different things to different people. We continually have discussions about "vintage" - to me, it's anything that would have been made for an earlier generation, so anything older than 25-30 years. However on eBay it does seem to have become a generic term for anything that is second hand. "Classic" to me refers to style / design, rather than age.

As for plastic, bakelite was invented in the early 1900's, and the explosion in the mass production of plastic items in the 1950's following WW2 would certainly mean that there could be plastic handled tools well old enough for me to consider them vintage.

However I understand your annoyance - there are certainly plenty of things on eBay that annoy me. However we keep buying / selling / looking here, because at the moment it's still the best game in town.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Some days I feel like an Anitique, while other days, I feel like a Classic. Lovin myself stupid !!! 🙂 

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Its the age old debate I quess.

What is most annoying is searching through the Antiques section only to find page after page of BRAND NEW items. Sellers even stating in the title its Brand New....ANNOYING

Come on ebay....at least put some sort of timeframe on the items that can be listed.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks for your comments folks - they're all relevant, but this is the one that makes the point I want to make.  Come on Ebay . . . set the standard as you have done for "used" and "new".

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@bsal6160 wrote:

Its the age old debate I quess.

What is most annoying is searching through the Antiques section only to find page after page of BRAND NEW items. Sellers even stating in the title its Brand New....ANNOYING

Come on ebay....at least put some sort of timeframe on the items that can be listed.

You could search in the Antiques section for -new; that would eliminate anything with New in the title.

I just tried it but for "on eBay Australia" it only reduced the listings from 177, 411 to 171,008

That still leaves 1, 107 with Item Condition of New, 1,784 of Used and Not Specified 168,102.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply