Would like some help in determining what a James Kent Old Foley breakfast set would be worth

I have just bought through auction a James Kent Old Foley breakfast set comprising of tray, small condiments bowl,small teapot, cup, toast rack and small milk jug. It has Old Foley written in cursive writing above a James Foley Staffordshire stamp with Chinarita 5823 on the bottom of the items. When would this have been manufactured and what would it be valued at? All pieces are in good condition - no cracks or hairlines, only a little crazing inside the cup and a small amount of white glaze which has rubbed off on the edge of the teapot lid.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Would like some help in determining what a James Kent Old Foley breakfast set would be worth

By no means an expert on James Kent, but from the design I would date this to the 1950's - 1960's; some sites say "Old Foley" was used after 1955. Sadly the breakfast set is no where near as popular as it once was; for James Kent the most popular (and therefore the most valuable) pieces are those with all-over patterns - either Chintz or all over flower patterns like Rambler Rose or Chinese Rose. "Red Rose" would seem a good descriptive name. Yours is in very good condition which is excellent; if I was selling it, I would be asking $120 starting price and hope to go upwards. The Chintz and Rambler Rose sets seem to realise around $150-200 mark. Better manufacturers, particularly Royal Winton, are more eagerly collected, and therefore produce better prices, though still no-where near the heady Chintz days of 20 years ago. However "morning teas" go in and out of fashion, and it is a very pretty pattern. Good luck.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for your interesting information.  I will have a go as you suggest - not a very experienced seller I must admit but will have to dip the toe in sometime!

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Just make sure you give yourself a realistic price for postage (I am assuming it will be posted.) This will need a fair-sized box as the tray is quite large, let alone the other pieces. Allow extra weight for packing. Do use calculated postage (for which you will need the  box dimensions as well as total weight) and I would use Signature on Delivery. Australia only. Nice clear pics including the bases. Good luck.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply