Beware -another scam Ebay call - but not automated, a real person.

I just received a call supposedly from Ebay. The woman said that a $500 gift card had been purchased in California - was this me and when was the last time I used Ebay (said I didn't remember and have been overseas for a month anyway). She gave me her supposed ebay ID and the call came from a mobile number. She said someone was using my account fraudulently,  she didn't want my personal details but she seemed to be leading to something about providing me with a pin to stop the payment. I saw red flags (like a reverse payment that scammers use on Facebook) and said I didn't trust her so hung up. But she rang me back straight away still trying to convince me (desparate or what?!). I have no suspicious transactions on either my bank accounts or ebay. But am really jacked off she had my phone number and other people might fall for this as you are speaking to a real person.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

She doesn't have your phone number only - she has everyone's - they are computer generated.

Don't worry - just don't answer or hang up immediately.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

Don't worry - just don't answer or hang up immediately.

I recently ignored several calls from a number I was sure was not legit. They/their AI just kept ringing. So I answered  - real person on the line, rabbiting on about internet access problems - I was ready for this and said, well managed to shout over him so he'd listen, " Thank you for letting me know, I'm really busy right now so I'll ring my internet provider when I have time". That number hasn't rung me again.

And as for offers to change light  bulbs, test my power usage, install draught excluders etc etc- I just tell them I have already accepted the offer from another company.

These tactics are for when I'm in a good mood, other wise hanging up or suggesting a place the caller could go to, then hanging up, is employed.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I donโ€™t play with these peopleโ€ฆ Itโ€™s a quick identify-scam or identify-cold-call process, then I simply say โ€œNo. Goodbyeโ€. Nothing else.

The days of saying we have no internet or computer are gone. No information at all is the best response.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

lol..... if I answer I say "Salisbury Police Station, how can I help you?"......click

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply