Scammer phone call.

Is ebay aware of scammers pretending to be ebay?

I have received a call from this number todayAdvising that a 299 dollar purchase was to be made on my account.  SO I went to option 3 to speak with someone who got **bleep**ty with me and they were

asking me to set up something in my computer for security  but DONT log into my ebay account.

I closed off the call as they called on a number that I dont have registered with ebay.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Scammer phone call.

Of course ebay are aware of it, but there is no way they can stop it. The fact you hit 3 and spoke to someone, your number will be sold to scammers all around the world. I suggest not answering calls where you don't recognise the number. If it's important, the caller will leave a message. However, be wary of the messages because sometimes the scammers will actually leave a message. 

Don't fall for the PayPal one either. The call will be something along the lines of "you've made a purchase for $800, if that wasn't you, press 1". It's a recorded message and it will even go to message back with the message. 

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Scammer phone call.

Scammers can pretend to be anyone - anyone at all.

There are scammer centres with multiple scripts purchased, ready to go once the current scam is not yielding enough reward. NAB, CBA, Westpac, ATO, Amazon, Solar energy, PayPal, eBay, AP, Federal Police, Optus, Telstra - any organisation or group or institution at all.

If you're phoned by any such "organisation", and they start talking about a fraud on your account, just end the call immediately. If it's supposedly from your bank, call your bank on the phone number showing on the back of your credit card / debit card, and ask if there is indeed any sort of problem. Don't bother with any of the others, because they will NOT phone you to tell you about a fraud on your account. Amazon won't; eBay won't; AP won't want a small payment to redeliver; Federal Police will show up if there's a problem; ATO won't...

Say nothing; give away no information; don't confirm your name or date of birth or address or even whether you have an eBay account or Amazon account or PayPal account or internet of any sort.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Scammer phone call.

Yes eBay know

As do 99% of other members here, so posting under community feedback won't be seen by anyone who 'does'nt know'

People who have never used eBay get the same calls

But why oh why did you play along?. You would know you did not make any such purchase 

You could have kept yourself safe, hung up and contacted your bank instead

Now these scammers will tell their scammer mates that you are someone who will go along with whatever they tell you

At least you did'nt do the computer bit, but you have still done more than enough to put yourself at risk

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Scammer phone call.

@sandypebbles wrote:

As do 99% of other members here, so posting under community feedback won't be seen by anyone who 'does'nt know'

I am assuming you know for a fact that 99% of members know.  But assuming your number is correct (details please),  that still leaves 1% who don't.   

So what harm is there for another reminder.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply