elect grill that blows or trips fuses in the home when turned on

i brougt a elect grill that looked great when i opened the package so i sent good feedback after a few days i used it it blow the fuses i tryed another p/point same thing it turns on for a short time then bang i want to return the grill that was sold as in GREAT CONDITION do you think this is fair if was sold to someone with no saftey switches it could kill them thanks

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Have you contacted the seller to let them know?  If they are not helpful just open a dispute for Item Not As Described and get your money back.

You can leave a followup feedback for the seller to say what happened....but do not mention disputes etc. or ebay may remove it if the seller requests it.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I would also give your state consumer affairs office a call so they have that model on record and will see a pattern if these have a design or manufacture fault. Perhaps they already know of an issue with these units.

image host
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I know I'm coming in late on this topic, but if it was the vertical grill, it could be your circuit, rather than the grill. We own and use vintage Sunbeam vertical grills. If the skillet is on, and the deep fryer, if I turn the grill on it trips the circuit breaker. We've been using these things for the best part of 25 years and the same thing happens with every one we've owned, which has been a few.

If the grill is plugged in, and the skillet, turning on the kettle or deep fryer will trip the circuit breaker. 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

You are overloading the circuit Tippy.....there is nothing wrong with any individual appliance just too many on the same circuit.

I have it happen here  if I turn 2 appliances on when the portable airconditioner is on.....one is OK, two trips the switch.

It happened last night when my OH forgot that we had the AC on for the first time since last summer.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Yes, having 3 things running in the kitchen will overload. It's not necessarily the vertical grill that trips it. We used to blame that because it was usually the last thing switched on. We then realised it wasn't that, it was the 3rd appliance turned on. We now time the cooking so only 2 things are on at once. I did forget the other day and flicked the kettle on. Mr Tippy called me bad names ๐Ÿ˜„

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

It is usually my OH who forgets and it is usually when I am also recording a program on the VCR.....I call him VERY bad names.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I'm pretty sure the general rule is that the buyer is responsible for ensuring the item is electrically safe before use. That applies to secondhand items etc

That said on eBay the buyer always seems to win so that's why I'd never sell used appliances on eBay.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Given the OP never came back, I'm guessing any attempts at a refund failed.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply