lost tracking number

Hi I sold and posted an expensive item. I have lost the recipt with the tracking number and buyer says they havent received the item.

I posted the item myself and it hasnt been returnee to sender.

What should I do?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

lost tracking number

Pay attention to detail? Especially with expensive items.

Did you post over the counter or in a red box?

Did you upload the tracking number to the sale?

Do you have an AP Mypost Business account? That will show all your parcel details, pretty much forever.

Many questions, I realise, but without answers to them I can't provide further advise.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

lost tracking number

did you not upload tracking number? If not, why not? If you did it would be in the system & you can 'track' yourself......if you didn't, you might have no proof it was sent at all....the onus is on you

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

lost tracking number

Why did you not upload the tracking number? If you didn't, then the buyer is going to think it's been sent untracked, so know they will win a not received dispute. 

Create a My Post account on the Aust Post website. It's free. That should give you access to My Post Business as well (despite the name, you don't have to be a business). Request a My Post card. Install the My Post app on your phone or other device.

When you take a parcel to the PO, scan the card when paying the postage, or getting a lodgement scan if you purchase post online. That automatically adds the tracking to the app. I then go into the app and rename the tracking with the buyer's username, so I know who owns what tracking number. If you don't have a device, you can see the tracking on the website as long as you've scanned the card.

If you have a printer, print postage labels from My Post Business (make sure it's Business, and not just regular My Post). If you post over a certain amount you can get postage discounts. Depending on the amount you post, depends on the discount. If you are high volume, the discounts can be significant. You can link the account to your ebay account, so the tracking is automatically uploaded to ebay.

If you prefer to post and pay at the PO, have a box or something to put your receipts in. Then you know where they are. Write the buyer's username on the receipt and add to the box. Keep each receipt for 6 months. When I was doing that, I had baggies for each month to put the receipts in. That way I didn't have to go through the mountain of receipts to find the ones over 6 months old.

If you didn't upload the tracking number and you can't find the receipt, then unfortunately, you have no choice but to refund. If the buyer has opened a dispute, and they close it before you refund, you will get a defect on your account.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

lost tracking number

I have managed to get past receipts from the post office but can't remember what they showed as it was many years ago. Also you need to know the time and day it was lodged and due to the time it may take staff to find it someone understanding. You may need to just write it off and you never know it may get returned to you if they could not deliver it. Just don't risk disputing it with out tracking as it will effect your sales and cost more in the long run.

Saying that I have had a few buyers ask for the tracking as it has not arrived and upon checking it shows delivered. Upload tracking and I don't hear back and to be fair they may have not checked the letterbox as smaller parcels sometimes end up there. Same as safe drop if you don't know it has arrived they may not have looked for it. Honest buyers will look and most times this has solved the issue.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply