A BIG DRAIN SOCK AND A PLASTIC ROAD - WHAT A GREAT IDEA.

6 REPLIES 6

The drain sock is such a simple but brilliant idea.  I can think of a few places locally where it would be a godsend.

I hope the new material means roads pass the pressure and length of use tests. 

Alternate use for rubber tyres is (if you will excuse the pun) already gaining traction.  I have two small ramps at one of the doors out and into my house, and they are made of recycled rubber bits  They were expensive but they are very durable and heavy and non slip.  One ramp was made too high and a door kept sticking.  The company that installed it sent someone out to fix it....by 'shaving' it down with a belt sander.  Worked like a charm.  They are a couple of years old now (maybe a bit more) and they are as good as though they were brand new.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

every drain leading into a waterway should by law have some kind of carp catcher installed

and be regularly serviced.

when i was young we had a drain right in front of our house and council every year would come and lift the lids and clear out any muck.

eventually councils stopped clearing drains and flooding became common as pipes blocked up.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Should become mandatory for any storm water drains.

image host
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

There's a stormwater drain on the road opposite my house where, because of the road camber it pretty much collects all the water and rubbish running down the road.  It gets blocked up a lot.

I've phoned the council more than a few times when it has got bad.  Then the council started an online reporting system and I duly filled it out ,and because I HAD to include a contact number, I gave them my work number.  I figured that based on past reporting, they'd come out in working hours.  I didn't work near home and the phone number was clearly in what used to be an old STD zone.

A few days later the council workers came out and fixed the blockage.  I knew this because I got a phone call (at work) from someone on the work detail to 'Come outside and see that the drain was unblocked'.  He sounded a bit irate so I figured he had knocked on my door a few times and of course no one answered.  He couldn't get off the phone fast enough when I explained I was 40km away at work.

I have to say though that the drain is always fixed promptly if someone reports the issue. 🙂

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I think it's a good idea but it needs some sort of tweak because it is not very big.

In a time of extremely heavy rainfall, I can see it might fill up quickly before anyone can empty it and then cause water to back up and flood areas further back.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Had a couple of beaches around our way that had these socks fitted to storm water pipes years ago

(don't know if they still have them)

If they weren't kept clear of rubbish a section of the main road next to one of the beaches would flood.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply