Abbott Trumps Rudd On China

Tony Abbott is being hailed for his approach to Asia, somehow trumping mandarin speaking Kevin Rudd

Australia’s Ambassador to the US Kim Beazley has revealed that American officials were marvelling at Mr Abbott’s success in Asia.

“He has them somewhat intrigued,” Mr Beazley told The Daily Telegraph yesterday.

“They are very interested in the Prime Minister’s visits to Asia ... and what he has arranged in the region.”

An article published in Canada’s largest national newspaper The Globe and Mail, also suggested Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper “actively seek Mr Abbott’s views and advice” on Asia.

In the article he highlights differing platforms of Mr Abbott and Mr Rudd during the federal election, which he described as being, “seen in crude terms as a contest between an Anglophile and an Asianist”.

“And yet, on broad Asia policy, Mr Abbott has stayed the course,” Mr Woo wrote.

Mr Abbott has signed free-trade agreements with Korea and Japan, and is close to securing a deal with China. Australia also sent its largest ever trade mission to China. This all happened in 2014.

Mr Rudd with his Mandarin speaking skills, connections and Chinese son-in-law was expected to take relations with China to another level, but was instead dogged by inaction and controversy.

This included Mr Rudd’s alleged comments at the Copenhagen Climate Summit in 2009 when he supposedly said: “Those Chinese f**kers are trying to rat-f**k us”.

Entire Article Here

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

shouldn't that be Chinia? 

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

@boris1gary wrote:

shouldn't that be Chinia? 

no.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

The Daily Telegraph - how come they are the only newspaper publishing anything at all positive about Tony Abbott?

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

I wanna know why they're picking out China patterns - thought only royalty did that

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

Dr Thomson said that while Australia’s free trade agreements with Japan and Korea were a positive step, it would be wrong to assume they were the work of one person.

Many officials were involved in negotiations on the agreements, even though the Prime Minister was there during the signing so could take some credit.

While there is interest in Mr Abbott’s handling of relations with Asia, Dr Thomson said this was probably because officials would be interested in what was said during bilateral meetings.

“I don’t think it is the case that anyone thinks Mr Abbott is an Asian expert,” Dr Thomson said.

From the link in the opening post.

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

i found similar articles just then from the age, shm, abc.net, the australian

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

how reputable is the age?

Abbott in China shows skills beyond his years

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

The Daily Telegraph - how come they are the only newspaper publishing anything at all positive about Tony Abbott?

i can't find anything else on the China "story", maybe I'm not looking in the "right" places, havn't tried the kids section yet. Woman LOL

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

just google rudd china - heaps to pick from

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply