Abbott shows he’s the diplomat that scoffing Labor leaders never were

nero_bolt
Community Member

Terry McCrann:

TONY Abbott’s sweep through Asia has been an extraordinary triumph on an impressive number of levels — the personal, the policy substance and, most critically, the diplomatic.

It’s arguably a triumph unequalled by any previous Australian prime minister. In barely a fortnight, he’s sealed major trade deals with two of our three biggest customers, and almost certainly locked in a deal with the third — the biggest, China…

The more important point was the success the Prime Minister achieved in broadening and deepening our relationships with all three countries.

He did so with an extremely sophisticated and effective mix of rugged assertion of our values, softened by smooth diplomacy and basic realism.

He did so, again, in stunning, embarrassing, contrast to his two predecessors…

The one thing that absolutely cannot be denied is the way Abbott’s success has destroyed utterly the meme Labor attempted to pin him with as some blundering ideological hick.

That by characterising Japan — openly, honestly, and not only correctly but appropriately — as our best friend in Asia, he had blundered into upsetting our biggest customer, China.

But not only did Abbott have a seamlessly positive visit to Japan — coming straight after we had rubbed their noses in the whaling loss of face in the International Court of Justice — but he was able to move just as seamlessly on to China....

We should also not forget the country that Abbott passed over on his way north. Indonesia.

Remember how turn back the boats was Abbott’s first great “blunder”? ... Funny how the boats have been successively turned back, and “new ones” also sent back for some months now with nary a peep of complaint out of Indonesia.

Despite no doubt the frenzied best efforts of Fairfax and the ABC to find someone, anyone, over there to complain.

Again, it would suggest the policy clarity and firmness of the Abbott government is reaping rewards. We have a Prime Minister who really is winning — openly recognising — friends and influencing (important) people in Asia.

UPDATE

Tony Abbott took 600 business leaders with him on his tour of Japan, South Korea and China. It was a political masterstroke, to judge from the reviews.

Channel 7 boss Kerry Stokes:

We had a prime minister who spoke Mandarin and our relationship tanked in six months… Now we have a PM who speaks people and we have a new relationship in six months.

Crown Resorts chairman James Packer:

From the perspective of trade and business investment, the trip was extremely beneficial for Australia. The Prime Minister and trade minister Andrew Robb have done an outstanding job. They have set a benchmark for future governments.

CSL CEO Peter Perreault:

He was genuine and engaging with the foreign leaders and has established a great new start for Australia in north Asia.

Tad Watroba, executive director of Hancock Prospecting:

Tony handled himself very well and came across as a genuine bloke. There was a visible difference from the previous leadership.

Packer again:

I think the truth is Australia’s relationships with China, Japan, India and Indonesia all went backwards over the last five years… When you go round and lecture people — I think you’d know who I’m talking about — some people don’t take it that well.  

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

he's a crushing bore who sent them to sleep. theres nothing in this for Australians only foreign business . Robb seems to have promised everyone in the region Australian land.. Joyce is reportedly being sedated with IV diazepam on the half hour.

the electorate is deserting tone in droves.Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

whatever, he's an idiot.

We're now going to work till we're 70, pay to see a doctor, and poor disabled people might not see the NDIS and some lose their pensions. and women of a certain calibre get help and the rest don't. not that I agreed with the 'baby bonus' so much. and let's not give a **bleep** about our environment.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Mein Gott!!! Is there nothing this guy CAN'T do ? He's Australia's own Buckeroo Bonzai.
Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

i've noticed that scoffing is one thing he''s really good at

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

actually the op made me laugh out loud, but they forgot to say just how supercalifragilisticexpialidocious  abbott is.Woman LOL

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Oh yeah I forgot, strings four words together.Apart from that, is there anything he can't do?
Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

@just*duff wrote:

whatever, he's an idiot.

We're now going to work till we're 70, pay to see a doctor, and poor disabled people might not see the NDIS and some lose their pensions. and women of a certain calibre get help and the rest don't. not that I agreed with the 'baby bonus' so much. and let's not give a f about our environment.

you can thank Labor for most of your concerns. Labor has sent us broke and now the welfare mentality is rearing its head in anger  that  the public teat may get yanked.

So Labor....take a  bow.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

silverfaun
Community Member

So proud of our country and our sucessful and genuine Prime Minister.Heart

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

@silverfaun wrote:

So proud of our country and our sucessful and genuine Prime Minister.Heart

that is so nice, spell check would make it even nicer.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply