Amalgam fillings.

Probably been done to death, but came home from the dentist, OH is horrified they gave me three more amalgam fillings.  I couldn't say a thing as I was having 5 fillings that day face so numbed I couldn't form words and it was frankly too late before I noticed. So anyway I thought if I go look at some studies on line it might put my mind at ease but YIKES it hasn't.   There is no current evidence that the elemental mercury causes harm except even the FDA have brought up that it can show up in breast milk, others claim it's ability to be inhaled causes significant harm, kidney and brain damage. 

So I have to go back for 5 more and I am wondering whether I should see if white fillings are the go and avoid any further amalgam fillings in my system.  If I have 5more I will have closer to 15 in my system. I should add I have had about 5 previously with no side effects.   After yesterdays visit I have a big headache (probably reading too much lol) and still have that yucky taste in my mouth which I am sure will subside.

Would you have more or get quotes for the white ones that apparently leak a substance that can cause cancer over time lol! Or join the millions of others that have had them done and  don't worry about the long term impacts?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Amalgam fillings.

dont stress.

they are safe.

they usually use them on back

teeth only so they are not obvious.

go on the ADA website, there is some

good info there.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Amalgam fillings.

Thanks Julia, I did have a look but on one hand every says its safe and in another there is a small risk.  Anyhow you'll laugh I just phoned the dentist and he doesn't use amalgan fillings ha ha! What's happened is he's filled the other ones around the Amalgan fillings shined them up and cleaned them!  Now they look new!!! Feeling like a twit!!!! ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Amalgam fillings.

I think the amalgam lasts a lot longer than the "white" fillings.  

Sort of "return business" philosophy that has "in-fill-trated" the Dental industry .

DEB

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Amalgam fillings.

Last time I was at the dentist earlier this yr. I had amalgam fillings done on 3 back teeth.......they do last longer.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Amalgam fillings.

For sure that is the pros of an Amalgam filling that they do last longer for sure.  But then I've tooth coloured ones in longer than the amalgan at the front, however they are discoloured. I notice in some countries they are either banning them or considering their side effects if any.

Millions of people have successfully had them for the last 150 odd years with no adverse effect we are aware of.  There are some reports but whether those with issues with them are psychosomatic which some studies found or people with allergies to certain metals, or sensitivity etc I don't know studies don't seem conclusive either way... I'd rather not take the risk. I'm probably being paranoid lol but why expose yourself when you don't have to.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Amalgam fillings.

Main thing is that if they appear to flake, or be cracked, get the filling looked at. Either type. Noone wants to be swallowing bits of fillings, and if they are damaged and left to move, or get a broken bit jammed, they can be harder to repair or remove to refill. I had an old amalgam crack, very hard to see, just a little line, and that's what the dentist told me. Was replaced with a white one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Amalgam fillings.

I have had amalgam fillings in my mouth for over 60 years with no detrimental side effects as far as I am aware.

Most of the early ones have been replaced over the years with new amalgam although a few of the more obvious ones were done in white.  Some of the white ones have needed replacing as they definitely do not last as well as the amalgam and they do discolour over time.

As for having a headache....anyone would have a headache and sore mouth after having 5 fillings in one sitting.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Amalgam fillings.

I get to do another 5 next week! So not looking forward to that!!! 🙂 Anyway thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease 🙂
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Amalgam fillings.

Yes they are considered safe by some organisations - or at least by implication the degree in which citizens could be dumbed down by accumulated mercury burden is not of any consequence compared with acceptable minimal levels of human function of the teeming masses, compared with  profit effective solution ( and excluding until recently massive environmental damage from mercury waste )

In considering whether you are comfortable with mercury metal vapour being released from 'amalgam" fillings when chewing food, maybe add this data for evaluation.

https://youtu.be/VImCpWzXJ_w

cheers

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply