Another Mechanic Question

As I freely admit, I don't understand engines with computer control - in fact I am 'dangerous' around these vehicles. It's probably simple but - just one of those things I have never looked into.

wiki says: "The Mazda MX-3 is a four-seat kammback coupé first introduced at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1991.[2] The MX-3 was marketed as the Mazda MX-3 Precidia in Canada, the Eunos 30X in Australia, and as the Eunos Presso, Autozam AZ-3 and Mazda AZ-3 in Japan........... The most common engine swap for MX-3 GS owners with the V6 engine is a 2.5 L V6, either a North American-spec KL-DE 168 hp (125 kW), found most commonly in the 1993-1997 Ford Probe GT, the 1993-1997 Mazda MX-6 LS, or the 1993-2002 Mazda 626 LX or ES, or the Japanese-spec KL-ZE 200 hp (149 kW), found in such vehicles as the Efini MS-8, Xedos 9, & Eunos 800."

I have a Mazda Eunos 30X. It has a 1.8 lt V6 engine - K8-DE. I understand from reading the above and various blogs etc, that you can swap in a 2.5 lt - from a Mazda MX6 - called a KL-DE or a KL-03 from a Telstra TX Ghia, or a KL-G4 from a later model 98-2002 626 ES,LX.

Question: Swapping the engine is OK - it bolts straight in - you can even use the 30X gearbox -  if I can get a whole engine with inlets, exhaust etc but what about the computer? As I understand it, the computer would drive the engine management system plus all the other internals like brakes, fuel pumps, air bags etc. Would I have to swap the computer.

Does anyone know of places that do this sort of upgrade? With a Holden or Falcon there are stacks of places.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

You willl need the ECU (computer) as well. Get the loom to the ECU from the wrecker iof possible as well.

Reserach your  current fuel pump flow/pressure and possibly a brake upgrade. Checks with your states rego requirements

first... and not at the pointy end.....much cheaper than the other option and less tears.

Mazda enthusiast forums is the best place for this infio.

Most of the ideas are helpful and the sticky engineering/tech section helps to guide you not to make all the mistakes others

have already

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

As an example.......

in NSW you would require (at least) an engineering certificate, a brake upgrade and an emissions test. ( I believe that you will have to pass the emission test for the engine that had the strictest standards)

A Hot rod recently cost $2800 for its engineering certificate plus the cartage ($600) to the Engineering

workshop and return...

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-06-light-vehicle-modifications....

The examples of modifications ‘requiring’ or ‘not requiring’ certification provided in the following tables do not cover all situations.

It is recommended that before undertaking any modification/s to your vehicle, you seek advice regarding the impact they may have on your vehicle’s continuing compliance with ADRs and the Regulation.

If you have any doubt about whether or not your intended vehicle modification/s may require certification, you should contact RMS Technical Enquiries or a VSCCS licensed certifier for more information

– see page 18 for contact details.

Significant modifications requiring certification

ENGINE

Item Modification

1An engine that is not of an original family of engine for the series of models, or any engine more than 20% larger than the largestoriginal optional engine for that series.

Examples requiring certification:

•Replacement of 2.0 litre Honda engine with 2.0 litre Mitsubishi engine.

•Replacement of 2.0 litre engine with an engine capacity greater than 2.4 litres.

page 4

Note:
If non-original components such as camshafts, carburettors or engine control modules (ECM) are fitted in an ADR

emissions complying vehicle, it must be demonstrated that emission levels are retained.

Tip:
To confirm vehicle emissions are within acceptable standards certifiers may require RMS emissions testing.

These are conducted free of charge at RMS Heavy Vehicle

Inspection Station (HVIS) Botany or Penrith – contact the RMS HVIS on 1300 364 847 to make a booking.

Alternatively, a 4 or 5 gas analyser test may be conducted at a vehicle repairer.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Capture.JPG

Smiley Wink

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

why do you want to upgrade...is the 1.8 ltr not enough power?

do you have a 2.5 ltr engine lying around?

Signatures suck.
Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Do vehicles have to be inspected on a regular basis in Australia?  Here in Oregon, while we don't have mechanical or safety inspections, vehicles newer than 20 years old have to have a smog inspection.  But, only in two areas........the Portland tri-county area, and Medford and environs.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Hey band

If you want to sell a vehicle in Aus, you need what they call a Safety Certificate. Unless you cancel the rego and sell as is.

So if I wanted  to sell an almost brand  new Holden that I had owned for 3 months I would need to get a SC for it, so registration can be transferred to the new owner. 

But if I had a car I bought (say a Kingswood) back in 1985, so long as I register it each year, I can drive it forever, and there are no checks to make sure it is still a road worthy vehicle -

if you think that sounds like it doesn't make sence, then you have my vote!

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

@2106greencat wrote:

Capture.JPG

Smiley Wink

shouldnt that be a mazda emblem?!

yes ford do like to give the illusion some mazda models are their own

but i dont blame them really.. after all they do have a reputation for being pieces of junk 

Signatures suck.
Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

wiki: "The most common engine swap for MX-3 GS owners with the V6 engine is a 2.5 L V6".

This is exactly what I want to do with my MX-3 GS / Eunos 30X - So, having read the NSW regulations, it's not OK there - I guess this means it's OK in USA? I'll have to read the Queensland regs.

Yes, the 1.8 is a bit s-l-o-w. And, No, I don't have a 2.5 laying around.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

In NSW light vehicles over 5 years old including motor cycles require a safety "E" check every 12 months. The checks

include a physical inspection of the vehicles suspension, steering braking, safety and motive power systems and for cars a

brake test whereby an inertia measuring device assesses the braking distance and characteristics from 40kms to a dead

stop.

Some Australian states require a safety certificate pre sale however in NSW that is not the case.

The day before yesterday I wrote a pre purchase inspection report on a 2013 Iveco daily (light truck) with 465000 kms on the

clock...it is a death trap.

The cabin mounts have all but cracked off the chassis to the point whereby the rhs front wheel is rubbing on the cabin under

the wheel arch,,,

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply