Anyone else have a veggie patch?

and what are you planting this year?

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

I haven't used it for a couple of years and the soil is a nice rich dark colour with lots of worms in it.

This year I have just put in - 

cherry tomatoes

peas and snow peas

capsicum

cucumber

baby carrots

long radishes

corn 

small watermelon

canteloupe

and have strawberries all year. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 2 of 59
Latest reply

kope,what is a long radish,please?

taste my religion! nibble a witch! ๐Ÿ˜„
Message 3 of 59
Latest reply

Hi, same as the round radish but long shape.

I think they are called french breakfast radishes.

I find they grow easier especially if you get a clump together, with the round ones, some will grow large and some won't when they are clumped. I tend to sprinkle the seeds in rather than one by one. 

I haven't found an easy way yet of a uniform spread for radish n carrot seeds if you have any suggestions?

image host
Message 4 of 59
Latest reply

I plant herbs every year.  The growing season is about over here in Florida.  This year, I pared the planting down to parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, chives, and mint.  The rosemary lives all year round and the oregano reseeds itself every year.  We use a lot of herbs in cooking and I think it's so much better to use fresh.

Message 5 of 59
Latest reply

Wow sounds great ๐Ÿ™‚ My strawberries are planted, too early to plant the the rest yet. Our veggie garden is still a work in progress, should be finished this week, if the rain holds off

Message 6 of 59
Latest reply

well,i used to grow the long white radishes,i think they're called icicle radishes? they're VERY hot. i grew them in circles to get uniform size. sprinkle the seeds in a straight line(meaning singly) in a shallow circular trench that spans a 6 inch circle. leave the center unseeded,and thin them as soon as the leaves hit an inch tall. leave about 1/2 an inch between sprouts,and harvest when the leaves are about 3 inches tall.

now,i don't know if this will work in a regular garden patch,as i grew them in an oversized windowbox greenhouse at work,but it's worth a try! 

maybe you could plant round ones in the center part? i will ask brooke and tonya,the best home gardeners i know. those 2 can grow anything just right,they amaze me.

taste my religion! nibble a witch! ๐Ÿ˜„
Message 7 of 59
Latest reply

I forgot about the herbs, I put in dill, coriander, oregano and have chives all year. Smiley Happy

Did have mint but became more of a pest.

Agree about using fresh herbs beadle.

image host
Message 8 of 59
Latest reply

My old dad was a great gardener - vegies only, didn't believe in growing anything you couldn't eat.

I remember, with all those smaller root vegies, he would make a straight furrow with the end of his spade, sprinkle the seeds along and as soon as they popped their heads out, he would thin them out by pulling out the excess.

We have bought a green house and a raised garden bed to have a good go this year.  Just bought a metre and 1/2 of good vegie soil (has loan, mushroom compost and sawdust in it), ready to start planting. 

photo 214a93fa3a9e326200857a2dbc30e730_zps379416e4.jpg
Message 9 of 59
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Hi, same as the round radish but long shape.

I think they are called french breakfast radishes.

I find they grow easier especially if you get a clump together, with the round ones, some will grow large and some won't when they are clumped. I tend to sprinkle the seeds in rather than one by one. 

I haven't found an easy way yet of a uniform spread for radish n carrot seeds if you have any suggestions?

As featured on Gardening Australia last Saturday.  My grandfather mixed the fine seed with course sand and sprinkled along the furrow.

He thinned them as Sandy suggested.  But nowadays with our "gastronomic intelligence", we could leave them a little longer before thinning; and present them as "baby carrots" on our plate.

DEB

Message 10 of 59
Latest reply