Assange 'Abandoned by Australian Government'

British Opposition Leader Jeremy Corbyn says he is surprised over what he sees as a shift in the British Government's position on Julian Assange and the UK's "unbalanced" extradition relationship with the United States.

Mr Corbyn made the comments after a meeting with Australian independent MP Andrew Wilkie, who is in London on a privately funded trip to visit the WikiLeaks founder in prison.

In the House, Mr Corbyn had argued that the UK had a "one-sided extradition treaty" with the US and asked Mr Johnson to commit to an "equal and balanced" future relationship.

"I do think that there are elements of that relationship that are unbalanced and I certainly think it is worth looking at," Mr Johnson replied.

Mr Corbyn said he thought this could be partly linked to a high-profile battle underway between the US and UK after Washington rejected a request for the extradition of an American citizen who fled Britain after allegedly causing the death of a teenage motorcyclist.

Mr Wilkie plans to visit Assange in Belmarsh Prison on Tuesday afternoon (local time), along with Queensland federal MP George Christensen, who is also in London.

Mr Wilkie described the case against Assange as scandalous.

"Let's not forget the substantive issue here, and that's that an Australian citizen has publicised a range of important information in the public interest, including hard evidence of US war crimes, and his reward for doing that is facing extradition," he said.

Ahead of the visit to the prison, Mr Christensen said he wanted to check on Assange's welfare to inform the Government back home.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-18/julian-assange-and-us-extradition-deal-view-changing-in-uk/11...

He's an Aussie, he revealed some uncomfortable truths, as any journalist would , and our Government should work to bring him home. He has broken no laws.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

our govt has shown for a long time they do not represent aussies very well once they are outside the county.

remember david hicks?

he broke no law

he was a fool admittedly

but our govts wouldnt touch him with a 50 foot pole.

whilst the govts of other countries were demanding their citizens released and taking them home!

our govt (and it makes no difference which mobs in) is tied to america and does what america asks without question.

call from america scomo, hi there cobber, we are having a war, send us everything you got pal!

scomo, YES SIR!

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

maybe some bright spark should get a hold of the holden brand and pop it onto australias first all electric car?

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

our govt has shown for a long time they do not represent aussies very well once they are outside the county.

remember david hicks?

he broke no law

he was a fool admittedly

but our govts wouldnt touch him with a 50 foot pole.

whilst the govts of other countries were demanding their citizens released and taking them home!

our govt (and it makes no difference which mobs in) is tied to america and does what america asks without question.

call from america scomo, hi there cobber, we are having a war, send us everything you got pal!

scomo, YES SIR!

I agree.  Somewhere in the PM's desk (and that's any PM here) must be a file marked:

ANNOYING AUSTRALIANS CURRENTLY HELD OVERSEAS

...and under that is the subtitle:

WHO GIVES A RATS?

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

I agree.  Somewhere in the PM's desk (and that's any PM here) must be a file marked:

WHO GIVES A RATS?

I think Scomo has that file beside his 2kg mounted piece of coal.

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

maybe some bright spark should get a hold of the holden brand and pop it onto australias first all electric car?

and appoint Assange as head of desgn security ?

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

WHO GIVES A RATS?

I think Scomo has that file beside his 2kg mounted piece of coal.

With the "I Stopped the Boats" trophy on the other side

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

Don't forget the ' Hawaiian Fridge Magnet '.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

or one of these

Screenshot_20200219-162111_Chrome.jpg

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply