Assisted Suicide

I was not aware that assisted suicide was allowed by law in some areas of USA.  Oregon is one state which allows it.  Are there any others?

How long before it is allowed here?

This story might be of interest to some.   "The Last Day of Her Life"

nyti.ms/1e7C49r

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Assisted Suicide

she-ele. I have recently done all the paperwork for the same thing with my parents. I did 2 (cant remember the name) but i also have to make finincial decisions in th event mum and dad cant.

Its not a great conversation to have but now i know where they stand and they can be assured their wishes will be adhered to rather than a doctor making decisions on their behalf

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

onau702
Community Member

It's news to me as well, I thought that doctor, "Corvorkin" is it? was banned from assisting suicides. I don't know if there's any other states, but if not I supose one could move to Oregon, but the bigger question on my mind is what is the critera? qualifications for Assisted Suicide. Would it have to be a health issue, or just a matter of showing they are in some form of severe constant pain that isn't going away? There's all kinds of pain, many kinds that can't be easally proven or understood by those who have not experanced it.

Of corse there should be safeguards in place to make sure this was well thought out, that they are in their right state of mind, maybe a waiting period, just thinking out loud, come to think of it,

theres plenty of suicide going on and it's government sponsored.and taxed. smoking, drinking, Softkill in food and water. I suppose we all gotta die at some point. The food I can understand, people get hungry and have to eat, most can't hunt or grow their own food, we all get thirsty, I eat the food from grocery stores and resturaunts, I really haven't much choice. But the smoking and drinking?, Why?, why would people do something that they know will lead to a shortened life unless some part of them is suicidal?

So maybe if one smokes, drinks, and does harmful drugs, they might ruin their health to the point where they might qualify for this assisted suicide.

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

@polksaladallie wrote:

The Queensland form requires the Health Attorney/s (and arguably medical staff) to follow the wishes of the Principal whether or not they agree with those wishes.  So I don't see it as a huge responsibility because they are abiding by the detailed clauses.  It would be difficult to have an attorney who has opposite views, but they legally have to do what is written.

It wasn't the legal ramifications I was thinking of, Polks. It's the responsibility DD is taking on of making a life or death decision on our behalf when we can't tell her what we really want.. 

I understand what you mean, but the whole rationale for the document is for you to make the life or death decision now and put it in writing so that the health attorney/s do not have to.

In my document there are 27 questions which require answers and signature on each one, and there are other areas where you can write other instructions, and you can put in added pages with instructions if necessary. It is very comprehensive, and if filled out correctly, leaves no doubt what the wishes of the person are.

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

@alexander*beetle wrote:

It's interesting isn't it Polks. I remember a documentary of this a while ago where they were looking at the expense of keeping people on life support when there was no hope of recovery. Even though the person on life support had given specific instructions, doctors and family were going against their wishes as well as families going against doctors wishes. It's a hard one all right.

Does that apply in all states or only Queensland? 

That scenario you describe sounds horrific.  I hope that doesn't happen to anyone anymore.  That is why it is so important to have it all in writing, because it is a legal document and has to be adhered to.

It is important to choose a health attorney who will stand up to medical staff and insist on your wishes.   Also important to choose your doctor wisely.  My children learned to be assertive from the time they were born, so I have no doubt that they will stamp their feet if necessary when the time comes.

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

@onau702 wrote:

It's news to me as well, I thought that doctor, "Corvorkin" is it? was banned from assisting suicides. I don't know if there's any other states, but if not I supose one could move to Oregon, but the bigger question on my mind is what is the critera? qualifications for Assisted Suicide. Would it have to be a health issue, or just a matter of showing they are in some form of severe constant pain that isn't going away? There's all kinds of pain, many kinds that can't be easally proven or understood by those who have not experanced it.

Of corse there should be safeguards in place to make sure this was well thought out, that they are in their right state of mind, maybe a waiting period, just thinking out loud, come to think of it,

theres plenty of suicide going on and it's government sponsored.and taxed. smoking, drinking, Softkill in food and water. I suppose we all gotta die at some point. The food I can understand, people get hungry and have to eat, most can't hunt or grow their own food, we all get thirsty, I eat the food from grocery stores and resturaunts, I really haven't much choice. But the smoking and drinking?, Why?, why would people do something that they know will lead to a shortened life unless some part of them is suicidal?

So maybe if one smokes, drinks, and does harmful drugs, they might ruin their health to the point where they might qualify for this assisted suicide.

But even if Sandy had lived in Oregon, her Alzheimer’s disease would have precluded her from getting help in taking her own life. States that allow for assisted dying require two doctors to certify that the person has a prognosis of less than six months to live, and most people with Alzheimer’s have no such prognosis. They also require that the person be declared “of sound mind,” a difficult hurdle for someone whose brain is deteriorating.

This is an excerpt from the diary referenced in the OP.   More details would be available for residents of the states who allow it.

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

Unfortunately, the State of Oregon (and the others, I'm sure) require the patient have a terminal illness, and have a life expectancy of under 6 months, and Alzheimer's doesn't meet many of the criteria.

But, terminal, is a subjective thing.  I was able to cash out my 401K without penalty because two doctors signed off on my life expectancy with my rottne heart..............that was over 27 years ago.

It is disheartening to post links to relevant information, and have posters ignore it.........

Kevorkian, while his motives were merciful, was in direct violation of the laws of the several states he performed the "assisted suicide" in.  He was just a little early.

People do move to Oregon to take advantage of the Death With Dignity law, in fact there was a young lady just recently who had terminal brain cancer, and opted to die.  You can read about it here........ http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/07/opinion/maynard-assisted-suicide-cancer-dignity/

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply