Aussie Girl, 9, Married In Middle-East

<script src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit_main.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Girl, NINE, 'leaves Australia to be married in the Middle East' in latest child bride case ... as it emerges that at least 250 underage Australian girls have wed in last two years

The Immigrant Women’s Health Service, based in western Sydney, claims it learned about the case on Sunday but has no more details.

It spoke to the girl's mother after receiving a tip-off, the ABC reports.

Dr Eman Sharobeem, director of the Immigrant Women's Health Service, warned that the government is not doing enough to prevent young girls from being married off illegally.

She said its strategy to stop child brides would fail because the girls don’t want to implicate their families in the crime.

She reasoned: ‘I don't hope and wish to see parents behind bars ... I already tried with many of them to talk about informing the authorities, and as soon as I put that on the table the girls actually turn their back and say “we're not even going to have a conversation with you”.’

Dr Sharobeem was forced to be a child bride while she was 14 and living in Egypt.

'It's not secret within our communities. It’s maybe secret to the eyes of the rest of the Australian community,' she told 60 Minutes earlier this year.

Entire Article Here

How can Aus authourities stop the practice if the marriage doesn't take place in Australia? The only thing they have any jurisdiction over is if the marriage takes place in Australia and/or cohabitation take place in Australia. 
Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Aussie Girl, 9, Married In Middle-East

It should simply be - 

If you are Australian you accept the Aus rules.

If you go outside of Aus, you cannot come back in if you don't comply with Aus rules.

image host
Message 2 of 2
Latest reply