Aussies Drunken Speech

This "news bulletin" has it all: speech, alcohol, traffic, guns, school curriculum,  mental health, domestic violence.

Claims the Australian accent sounds slurred because our forefathers were drunk all the time are "absolute rubbish", an expert says.

Victoria University public speaking expert Dean Frankel claims the Australian alphabet was "spiked by alcohol" because the first British arrivals to the country were big drinkers.

Mr Frankel told the ABC "speech was more contagious than the flu" and said: "Clearly we have been sloshed in alcohol for a very long time".........

....."Alcohol to Australians is like guns to Americans," Mr Frankel said. "Alcohol has been a part of the Australian culture for so damn long, it is crucial to the DNA of Australia.

"If you put a drunk person next to someone who isn't drunk, but who has a very heavy Australia accent, often you will not be able to tell the difference Dean Frankel, Victoria University

But UQ linguistics expert Dr Rob Pensalfini described the theory as an example of "cultural cringe" and "absolute rubbish".

Dr Pensalfini said theories like Mr Frankel's were often advanced for all kinds of accents, and were commonly unfounded.

"They say New Yorkers have nasal voices because they have to cut through the noise of the traffic," he told the ABC.

"The original one for Australia was we speak in a slurred and closed-lip way to keep the flies out of their mouths.

"They're all completely baseless ... I want to see the evidence, I want to see the instrumental valuations.".....

.....Dr Pensalfini, who is also an actor and director, added drunks often in fac,t over-articulated rather than slurred their words because they were "aware of their impairment".....

....."If you put a drunk person next to someone who isn't drunk, but who has a very heavy Australia accent, often you will not be able to tell the difference," Mr Frankel said.

He said communications should be compulsory in the Australian school curriculum, helping the nation to become a "cleverer country".

Bad communication was costing Australia billions, holding back the growth of emotional intelligence and contributing to mental health issues and domestic violence, Mr Frankel said.

"We might have less domestic violence if we were taught to communicate better."

He said people needed to adopt a broader vocabulary to better express themselves, and stop relying on alcohol to open up.

"Many Australians are not very good at expressing themselves unless they've had a bit of turp.

"They hold onto their emotions then it only comes out when they've had enough to drink."

Full Story http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-28/aussies-slur-their-words-because-our-forefathers-were-drunk/68...

Radio Show:  https://radio.abc.net.au/programitem/pgYRGqKMYV?play=true

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Aussies Drunken Speech

Hi Deb--read the thread title.

Thought someone had taped my speech as best man at a wedding years agoMan Embarassed.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Aussies Drunken Speech

not much drinking at our place !!

must be 5-6 weeks since i had 1 glass of wine and hubby only has a few beers on the weekend 

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Aussies Drunken Speech

The worst I've ever heard from a drunk Australian is "I love you, mate, I really love you...".

Perhaps the good Doctor feels a little confronted by that kind of honesty...?

Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply