Australian Private Debt

Australian private debt points to a potential financial crisis

Australia’s private sector is grossly over-indebted, especially the household sector. The hysteria surrounding Australia’s non-existent public budget ‘emergency’ is a smokescreen cloaking the critical household budget crisis.

The fictional narrative concerning public debt arises from an unshakeable adherence to pseudo-scientific economic theory and class war, such as ‘justified’ public austerity policies which target the poor and marginalised.

Meanwhile, the public is distracted from the true threat: the unrestrained private spending spree that further enhance the power, profit and authority of the horde of private monopolists, usurers, speculators, rent seekers, free riders, financial robber barons, control frauds and indolent rich.

The current dynamics of the political and economic system means private debts will continue to spiral out of control, until the catastrophically-inefficient FIRE sector inevitably implodes.

Nevertheless, the current housing booms in Melbourne and Sydney show no sign of abating in the short-term, with 2012 an opportune time to purchase according to the ‘Speculative Index’, which measures the irrational exuberance embedded in prices.

If the real estate fever gripping the nation does not break soon, Australia may well secure the top OECD ranking for the most over-indebted household sector.

A financial crisis beckons, for history documents that extraordinary over-lending routinely precipitates chaos; falsifying expert claims that ‘this time is different’.

Entire Article Here

Note to self: must make more of an effort to pay off my credit cards.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Australian Private Debt

posted this months ago but maybe you missed it, much longer article than what I have posted.

https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/abbott-government-ignores-australias-actu...

Private Debt

Private debt is composed of loans issued by lenders to the household, non-financial and non-banking financial sector.

It grew exponentially between 1964 and 2008, fuelling the mid-1970s dual commercial and housing real estate bubbles, the early 1980s Sydney housing bubble, the late 1980s dual commercial and housing bubble, and today’s colossal housing bubble and associated commercial property bubble.

The historic peaks in the non-financial business debt ratio match the commercial bubbles of the 1880s, 1920s, mid-1970s, late 1980s and 2008. Non-financial business debt has yet to reach the previous peak of 70.2% set back in 1893. After WW2, accelerating household debt financed housing bubbles during the same periods. The household debt ratio has experienced a remarkable rise over the last two decades, driving the largest housing bubble in Australia’s recorded history.

In the lead-up to the GFC, non-banking financial sector debt rapidly increased, reaching a peak of 116.1% in 2008, before deleveraging.

The consolidated private gross debt to GDP figure shown below is a new and novel insight, as it includes for the first time the previously-unexamined non-banking financial sector debt. Unfortunately, this series only begins in 1989.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Australian Private Debt

ok you win lol

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Australian Private Debt

credit cards.

Yikes

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Australian Private Debt

Yeah well these are the debts one HAS to pay back

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Australian Private Debt

yes Boris. I have also bantered on and on about this serious issue over the last few weeks, posting several excerpts from various authors........some people just don't pay attention to important matters when they should imo.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Australian Private Debt

some people should not be given credit at all.....then begs the question :

What happens when people cannot repay their credit debt?........because their credit debt is HUGE

I do not have a credit card myself.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Australian Private Debt

@paintsew007 wrote:

some people should not be given credit at all.....then begs the question :

What happens when people cannot repay their credit debt?........because their credit debt is HUGE

they go into bankruptcy

I do not have a credit card myself.

not everyone is creditworthy

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Australian Private Debt

@icyfroth wrote:

Icy

Unlike some who think it is a never ending interest free loan and then kick up a stink when the hint

of benng charged more comes along, 10 years later ! Smiley WinkSmiley LOL

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Australian Private Debt

@aps1080 wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

Icy

Unlike some who think it is a never ending interest free loan and then kick up a stink when the hint

of benng charged more comes along, 10 years later ! Smiley WinkSmiley LOL

You got it, Cat Very Happy

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply