Backing up to iCloud question

HELP Woman Surprised

I have a new SIM card to put into my existing iPhone 5s (new plan now that I'm off contract). I want to back up my contacts etc so I can reload them when I activate the new card. iCloud backup tells me it's going to take 3 days to complete the backup!!!  

Is this normal?  I think I will take it into the nearest Telstra shop (an hours drive away) tomorrow unless someone here has any bright ideas of another way to copy stuff.  

I'm not so bothered about photos because I already have them copied onto my laptop, but I have a lot of contact info that I don't want to lose.

Please help Woman Mad

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

lurker, it really shouldnt take that long, unless youve got a contact list the size of the white pages...

icloud will back up 

photos,videos

device settings (this is where your contact list is)

app data

home screen

ringtones

visual voicemails..

If you can manage the size of the backup, then you ought to be able to minimise the time it takes to move it..ALso, if you are sure that you have all the photos you need from your phone, delete them.

Settings>icloud>storage & backup>manage storage..tapping the name of your device under backups and turn off items under backup options

Then check out how long it will take..

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

You should be able to just go into your phone in settings and store all contacts to phone then store onto sim when the new sim is in.

That's what I did recently because I went from an old flip phone to my first smart phone with a different size sim.

image host
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

youcan - Yeah, I've looked at all that.  Still too long.

kopes - iPhone doesn't have the ability to store to the sim. That's how I used to do it before I had smart phones.

Thanks anyway.  I'll take it to the shop today.  It gives me an excuse to go shopping and escape all my visitors for a few hours  Woman Happy

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Just spoke to a friend that upgrades every time a new iphone is released and he said they always ask at the store if you want contacts over to the new phone and it takes a few minutes for them to do.

image host
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

have you spoken to apple?

they were having issues last

year but i thought they have been

resolved.  

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Oh dear, I worry about myself sometimes Woman Frustrated

Of course I didn't have to worry about it.  I'm simply changing my sim, not my phone.  Everything just stays where it is on the phone.  The nice young man in the Telstra shop did have the good manners not to laugh at me Woman LOL

All good now.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply