Barnaby, the fox in charge of the henhouse?

so we have good ol' barnaby joice trying to convince us he has the welfare of live exported animals at heart, yeah right barnaby.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-17/email-leak-suggests-profit-before-welfare/7521620

i suspect behind closed doors barnaby has the opinion they are just dumb animals dieing anyway what does it matter how.

his farmer mates are making money thats all that matters hey barnaby.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

No sense, no feeling n I dont mean the cattle
Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

I've never agreed with live animal exports- I can't see any reason why we can't be like NZ and export frozen meat.  It would create more jobs here too

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

I like Barnaby Joyce.

Re the Live export: I don't agree with it, but our beef farmers depend on it for their livelihood and that is important, after all.

re the bludgeoning of cattle with a sledgehammer before slaughter. Is it all that different to a stun shot via a bolt to the back of the head  by aussie slaughterers?

I mean really.

The cattle have to be killed so we can have filet steaks for our bbq and mince for our spag bol.

Is there anything KIND about it?

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
It's pretty hard to expect a "dumb animal" to think about the fate of the dumb animals
Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

so i guess if you had a pet cat or dog you would just whack it on the head with a hammer when it was too old as it makes no difference, its cheaper than a trip to the vet hey.

if you cant see a difference between bashing an animal to death and giving it an instant shock then what hope have we got for the future

guess theres no need for palative care in hospitals, just get a hammer. 

where do we draw the line when being caring?

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

so i guess if you had a pet cat or dog you would just whack it on the head with a hammer when it was too old as it makes no difference, its cheaper than a trip to the vet hey.

No not at all. I'd take it to the vet. But if I had hundreds to dispatch on a  production line, and wanted to eat them, I'd probably look for a cheaper and faster alternative.

if you cant see a difference between bashing an animal to death and giving it an instant shock then what hope have we got for the future.

From what I've seen of the video, they stun the animal with the hammer blow, then slaughter it. Surely that's no different that using a stun gun, then slaughtering it? There's nothing kind in animal slaughter for consumption. If you want to be humane, perhaps become a vegetarian.

guess theres no need for palative care in hospitals, just get a hammer. 

No. Many would opt for lethal shot though, rather than suffer for any length of time.

Stop eating meat, or stop live export and slaughter the animals here in Australia, where we consider to humanely kill the animals we like to eat.

Oh and have we seen any videos lately of how the animals are slaughtered here, by the way?

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

From what I've seen of the video, they stun the animal with the hammer blow, then slaughter it

well from what those who have seen the unedited version of the video, the animal wasnt knocked out with the first blow, it took five or six blows to fell the animal. must have been a very frightning way to die.

Stop eating meat, or stop live export and slaughter the animals here in Australia, where we consider to humanely kill the animals we like to eat.

this i agree with, stop the live transport, slaughter animals here in australia where we at least try to reduce the animals suffering.

there will never be a perfect way to kill an animal, but clubbing them to death just isnt acceptabe in 2016.

i would be very interested in how its done here in australia. it should be made public.

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

agree David,  the animal shown on the film certainly wasn't stunned by the first blow... it was fearful and trying to escape... while they were bashing it to death in front of the other animals... just plain old cruelty to animals

I think Barnaby Joyce is a bit of an idiot.. will be interesting to see how he handles this or if he does anything at all (which I very much doubt) after the way he carried on when another govt, banned live exports to Indonesia for a short time over similar cruelty. that's if he's still in his job after the election Cat LOL

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

He' pretends shock, horror and promises to do something about it - he may even set up yet another 'enquiry' but in the end  he'll just wait for all the fuss to die down (the general public has a very short attention span) and when it happens again -as of course it will - he'll go through the same old :  shock, horror something must  be done, blah, blah, blah. all over again It's a neverending story. 

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply