Bushfire DONNYBROOK South West WA

Lives and homes are under threat from a bushfire burning in Donnybrook, 210 kilometres south of Perth, the Department of Fire and Emergency Services says.

An emergency warning has been issued for people in Miller Road and Meotti Road, in the eastern part of Donnybrook, in the Shire of Donnybrook-Balingup.

Homes in Miller Road and Meotti Road are under threat by fire.

The fire is moving fast in a northerly direction and is out of control and unpredictable.

Residents are being warned they are in danger and need to act immediately.

The fire started south of Irishtown Road and west of Hardy Place, and Irishtown Road has been closed.

About 40 career and volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Service and Department of Parks and Wildlife firefighters are on the scene.

Firefighters are protecting assets and actively fighting the fire.

Shire of Donnybrook-Balingup chief executive John Attwood said the fire was burning in a rural-residential area.

He said there were about 40 to 50 homes nearby.

"It's a mixture of bush and farmland, grasslands," Mr Attwood said.

"Some of the area's quite steep and gullies, and through what we call the Donnybrook Stone Quarry area so there's some quarries, rock, stone, so that's fairly steep in that area."

Mr Attwood said conditions were fairly windy and unpredictable.

"We are still chasing parts of the fire, some parts are under control, others are still running with a front," he said.

"The bombers have been out there a couple of times and the [helitacs] as well.

"The good part is the majority of homes are not in the line where the wind is forcing the fire," he said.

Lorraine Bruyn, who is at Donnybrook Country Club near the centre of town, said she could see smoke on the horizon.

"We can see smoke, but luckily it's heading away from us," she said.

She said the fire seemed quite large, and conditions were windy.

"It doesn't look good," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-09/fire-threatens-lives-and-homes-in-donnybrook-south-of-perth/60...

Stay safe people. Thoughts and prays.

The fire was reported at 11:40am and has so far burnt 20 hectares.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Stay safe everyone.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

Hope everyone is safe and that your properties were spared Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 23
Latest reply

Thinking of you guys over there...stay safe xxx

Message 23 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Hope this is not your home area Paints.
Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

No. I am in Bunbury.36kms awayThanks for asking:)

An alert for a bushfire burning north of the Western Australian town of Donnybrook has been downgraded as authorities try to establish what sparked the blaze.

Luckily no lives or homes lost.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Big fire tonight in Bullsbrook! 2 homes gone and it's just jumped Wannaroo rd into the pine plantation!
Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

It started in Bullsbrook this morning at around 9 and is heading towards Yanchep now, it has been moving at an incredible rate, took this pic this morning from our property in Chittering 15 mins away from Bullsbrook.

IMAG0210.jpg

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Is it heading your way?
I'm on the hill above Kelmscott, it's been about four years since our hill went up and we were evacuated. Very scary!
Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

No it is heading over to Moore River, I just can not believe how fast it has moved. The easterly was blowing a gale which is why the speed of the fire.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

Oh no mugsy. I do hope people are okay up there. Thanks for posting.

Bushfire is one of the few things that really frightens me.

Smelt smoke from what I thought was a bushfire burning somewhere atetr dark here tonight in Bunbury. Don't smell it now at 10.30pm.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Scary pic roserobin. Thanks for posting am glad you are okay.

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Bullsbrook under fire threatA bushfire is raging close to properties in Bullsbrook. Picture: 7 News

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/latest/a/25953223/firefighters-save-homes-from-blaze/

Elsewhere in Perth last night, a bushfire was threatening homes in Padbury.

The fire started about 8pm in the Hepburn Heights Conservation Area, near the intersection of Hepburn Avenue and Gibson Avenue.

Firefighters said the blaze was uncontrolled, burning in thick bush and threatening homes.

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply