Cashless Welfare Card

moonflyte
Community Member

Could this be the end of the tragedy of alcohol fueled violence and child neglect.

A cashless welfare card aimed at stemming alcohol abuse would be rolled out across the country under a welfare reform the Turnbull government is considering taking to the election.

As regional trouble spots line up to be chosen for trials of the government’s new Healthy Welfare Card to begin next month, The Australian understands the Coalition may seek an election mandate to extend the card to welfare recipients across regional Australia if they achieve positive results.

Under the new system — proposed by mining magnate ­Andrew Forrest in his review of the welfare system in 2014 — 80 per cent of a person’s government payment would be ­quarantined to a bank card that could not be used to buy alcohol and gambling products, nor ­converted to cash.

The remaining 20 per cent could be accessible as cash.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/national-cashless-welfare-card-plan-by-turnbull-gov...

Message 1 of 218
Latest reply
217 REPLIES 217

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
This card will not solve these issues
Message 91 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
I'm not asking for a free ride. Just stop telling me how to live
Message 92 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
I paid tax for years so how is my benefit your money anyway
Message 93 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

moonflyte
Community Member

There's some things you just don't reply to.

This is an important reform and needed to be done decades ago but no government was game to go near it but now that the welfare budget is nearly as big as the health budget something has to be done and to safeguard the disadvantaged with a safety net which is what the government is trying to do.

Message 94 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 95 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

Smiley Indifferent

Message 96 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
But working people are free to abuse and neglect their families
Message 97 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
Hahaha, laugh at me all you want. The card will have little to no impact on family violence and I really hope the anger it will cause will not make for more
Message 98 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
You obviously aren't interested in trying to understand that not all welfare recipients are perpetrators of these activities as I've stated repeatedly I have no family so why would I need the card?
Do you have an emoj to explain that
Message 99 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

The emojie was not directed to you but to the lurker who posted the 3 smiley faces.

Message 100 of 218
Latest reply