Christmas Terror Attack Planned For Melbourne

Police raids in Melbourne’s northern suburbs foil alleged Christmas Day terror attack.

TERRORISTS planned a Christmas Day bomb attack targeting Melbourne landmarks including Federation Square and Flinders Street Station, police claim.

Five male suspects aged between 20 and 25 are expected to appear in court today charged with acts in preparation of a terrorist event. They are believed to have been inspired by the Islamic State, police said.

Four are Australian-born — one with a Lebanese ethnic background — and one is an Australian citizen born in Egypt.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said there will be extra police on the streets on Christmas Day.

A major multi-agency operation between Victoria Police, the Australian Federal Police and the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) foiled the alleged plot, Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said in a press conference this morning.

“We believe that there was an intention to conduct what we call a multimode attack, possibly on Christmas Day,” he said. “The possible locations that we have been working on have been Federation Square, Flinders Street Station and St Paul’s Cathedral.

http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/news/police-raids-in-melbournes-northern-suburbs/news-story...

God that's scary. Who's to say there's nothing similar planned for Sydney? Or other cities in Aus?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Yes I woke up to hear this on the radio and my blood ran cold as they said this may not be the end of it.  Wonderful work by the police I can't help wondering how they find them......  must be informers?   The bywords are I think Be aware but not scared, but easier said than done. 

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

"God that's scary. Who's to say there's nothing similar planned for Sydney? Or other cities in Aus?"

i agree, its definately a worry

but its not something i would worry more about than the dozens of other worrying things that "might happen" to me any day i leave the house.

yep, there are those in our society who are planning these types of attacks, and thats not good.

but also we have people who break into homes and attack us for money and goods to feed their drug addiction, its happening pretty much every day now!

we have people who jump into your car whilst your putting your shopping in the boot, even when there is a child in the car, then drive off!! its happening almost daily.

not a day goes by without someone being mudered. i'm sure our emergency departments at hospitals see many injuries that without quick care would result in death

why you cant even safely go out for a night celebrating at the pub without running the risk of becomming a statistic!

ect ect

so whilst these terror fueled nutters are about, the likelyhood of being caught up in an attack is much less than so many other nasty things that people do to other innocent people allready.

so i say its terrible news today, but when put into the mix with all the other terrible thing we face daily its just another scary one.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Tell that to the people who lost loved ones in recently, in Germany, and earlier this year in France and Belgium. Christmas would be THE prime time for Muslims to make a statement against Christianity and the West.

All I can say is thank goodness for the police in charge of national security who keep tabs on these people.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

so should i also tell everyone not to get in their car today and go shopping because thay might get killed in an accident?

much higher chance of that happening than anyone i meet dying in a terror attack.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

so should i also tell everyone not to get in their car today and go shopping because thay might get killed in an accident?

much higher chance of that happening than anyone i meet dying in a terror attack.

People get told all the time to be careful on the roads, especially at Christmastime, by the police.

No reason to pooh pooh off caution of danger.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

The difference being, if someone gets into a car accident, there's only a few injured/killed. Same if someone does a home invasion or jumps into your car while you're loading the groceries. The mongrels that blow up places like they do, hundreds, possibly thousands would be injured/killed. Imagine if they decided to let fly at the AFL grand final? Yes, these attacks might be less frequent than road trauma or home invasions, but the results are far more catastrophic.

Thankfully, most of the immigrant population where I live are Indian or Zimbawean, who don't generally get urges to go around blowing people up for the hell of it. Therefore, I don't live in fear. These people represent a large portion of our population, but they came in peace.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Not wanting to detract from the great job done by our police and intelligence services, but I guess we should be thankful that so far most of our home-grown wannabe terrorists appear to be woefully inept.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Mmmmmm, the transference of Middle East tensions and troubles to Australia; how on earth did that happen. I wonder if multiculturalism has any part in this.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@village_person wrote:

Mmmmmm, the transference of Middle East tensions and troubles to Australia; how on earth did that happen. I wonder if multiculturalism has any part in this.

i think it has quite a bit to do with the aftermath of 9/11 when john howard joined in with the killing of possibly millions of innocent people so the USA could say 'we are badass' 'look we got bin laden!'

its been one stupid decision after another re playing war for australia ever since.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply