Craig Thomson will go to mediation with FWA

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/craig-thomson-civil-case-goes-to-mediation-201...

The civil case against former federal MP Craig Thomson has been sent to mediation.

Federal Court Justice Christopher Jessup made the order during a hearing in Melbourne on Friday.

The Fair Work Commission (FWC) and Mr Thomson were ordered to attend mediation and report back to the court some time after October 21.

The FWC is alleging the former Labor MP misused union funds when he was the Health Services Union national secretary between 2002 and 2007.

Is it unusual to go to mediation over what are supposed to be such huge amounts of money?
Or is this an indication that the dollar amount is not so high?

I wonder when Kathy Jackson will face the courts over her misuse of funds.
Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Today there has been a development you wonโ€™t have to attend a shock jockโ€™s wedding on the taxpayer dollar to find out about.

Today, the figure the Fair Work Commission is disputing seems to have dropped even further โ€” much further, in fact.

The Fair Work Commission has today requested in court to settle the case through a mediator in a bid to reach a confidential agreement between themselves and Thomson.

Thomson has welcomed this proposal, which will no doubt be of considerable relief to him financially, as the cost of the constant travelling and legal representation to defend himself has been an anchor around his neck.

It is important to note that this request to settle though a mediator was made by the Fair Work Commission and not by Craig Thomson, which is a clear indication about which of the parties has the weaker case.

Once an agreement is reached โ€’ if it is reached โ€’ the civil case against Craig Thomson will cease.

This is also an indication of how much weight any evidence against Thomson in his criminal case must carry, considering it is primarily based on the Fair Work Commissionโ€™s reports and investigation and itโ€™s now even more questionable findings.

The matter is likely to settle before a mediator in Federal Court sometime after 21 October โ€” most likely early next year.

It will be interesting to see how the main stream media report this development โ€” or even if they bother reporting it at all.

Thomsonโ€™s solicitor Chris McArdle had this to say on the development when I spoke to him today;

โ€œIt is a reality that over 90% of cases settle and, had this not been such a high profile case, it would have settled long ago. We support the move to refer to mediation as we are confident the matter can be settled quickly through a mediator.โ€

http://www.independentaustralia.net/2013/politics/jacksonville-60-fair-work-commission-case-against-...

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

I wonder what the union members that he ripped off think about this "development".

Smacks of Union/Labor protecting their own at the expense of the members. Why am I not surprised?

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Does it Poddster ?

These civil claims started out, many may remember, at a headline grabbing figure of over $500,000. This figure has steadily dropped as things like facts and evidence have been taken into account and the figure now is well and truly under $30,000. Although ancient history, publications like The Australian still like to portray the old $500,000 figure as fact despite it being utter fiction.

http://www.independentaustralia.net/2013/politics/jacksonville-60-fair-work-commission-case-against-...

Thomsonโ€™s solicitor Chris McArdle had this to say on the development when I spoke to him today;

โ€œIt is a reality that over 90% of cases settle and, had this not been such a high profile case, it would have settled long ago. We support the move to refer to mediation as we are confident the matter can be settled quickly through a mediator.โ€

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

@poddster wrote:

I wonder what the union members that he ripped off think about this "development".

Smacks of Union/Labor protecting their own at the expense of the members. Why am I not surprised?

i guess you are unaware that Michael Lawler of FWA is married to kathy jackson (so-called whistleblower actually blame -shifter) . the entire matter is politically motivated. . michael is one of the PM'S closest friends. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Yep. Smacks of more shonky dealing, FWA is riddled with unionists and labor flunkies.

About time the industrial relations scene was scrutinized

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

not possible that it is  a 'media misrepresentation over a long period of time' ?  just like what our new Government is saying is the case regarding  boat tow backs ?

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Trying to deflect the focus off Craig Thompson on to unlawful entrants are we?  Why?

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@poddster wrote:

Trying to deflect the focus off Craig Thompson on to unlawful entrants are we?  Why?

not at all. Our Government has told us recently that media misrepresentation was responsible for talk of tow backs.

it would therefore need to be  a possibility in any and all cases where media are concerned.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

The Australian didn't give the correct figures 

why ? 

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply