Death of an icon

martinw-48
Community Member
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-21/the-death-of-the-milk-bar-deli-corner-store-an-australian-ico...

When I was a kid in Adelaide we lived in one of those new housing developments where there are houses and that's it.
Even when we moved from Wynn Vale to Ingle Farm it was one of those post seventies suburbs with housing being the main focus. At least they built schools.
There was a shopping center with Kmart and a new fangled mall type situation but before they called them a mall.
It's bigger now but no Toyworld any more, my favourite store but due to the prices most of my model kits were bought in Kmart.
When I moved here twenty years ago there were four "Milk bars", Butcher, Baker and Newsagent.
The last three have all closed and two of the Milk bars (still sounds funny to me because they are called delicatessens in S.A. or Deli for short)
Two banks that closed but we did get a Bendigo branch
Three petrol stations. One closed and one became a 24hr card job. Can't pump your tyres up or wash your windscreen at the servo anymore though
The two pubs are still going but both have had periods of being closed too.
The GST was the nail in the coffin for the Butcher and the Baker.
Both still work in their trades but as employees now rather than employers.
The extra work to comply wasn't worth it too them.
Newsagent just got old and sold the business.
The post office people bought it and it's ruined the pleasant experience of doing business at the post office, well for me anyway.
Message 1 of 1
Latest reply
0 REPLIES 0