Decluttering your home

j*oono
Community Member

Is Peter Walsh selling on ebay or something?

I just saw him convince an old bloke that he should declutter his books and the man wanted to keep a hard back copy of a James Bond book by Ian Fleming and he got him to throw it in the donate bin.

Does he know how much Ian fleming novels can sell for on ebay?

Hmmmm

Joono
Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Decluttering your home

ecar3483
Community Member

The man obviously has no appreciation of literary classics.

Or he's got an assistant waiting to pounce on the bin the moment everyone's backs are turned... Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

Decluttering your home

I've never seen that show but I have seen others (such as selling houses Australia) where they have this enormous skip and the producers persuade the owners to put just about everything into it.

Fair enough, some people do horde a lot of junk. But I have sometimes seen things thrown out that could raise a few dollars at a garage sale or on ebay, and often it isn't as if we are talking about people who are wealthy either, they could do with the extra cash.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

Decluttering your home

Ive got some good stuff from skips and dumpsters.

Havent put much in one......................................................Richo.

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

Decluttering your home

Peter Walsh even gets them to do the sorting.  He has one box for rubbish, one for donating and one to keep.  

Oprah Winfrey has a lot to answer for.

Joono
Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

Decluttering your home

I don't want him at my place Joono Woman LOL

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

Decluttering your home

He can come and sort out the boys rooms though.

Joono
Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

Decluttering your home

@serendipityricho wrote:

Ive got some good stuff from skips and dumpsters.

Havent put much in one......................................................Richo.

You're in good company, Richo. TV's Michael Hogben, (auctioneer and antique dealer), claims he's furnished most of his house from things he salvaged from skips. Well that's what he says, anyway.

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

Decluttering your home

@j*oono wrote:

Is Peter Walsh selling on ebay or something?

I just saw him convince an old bloke that he should declutter his books and the man wanted to keep a hard back copy of a James Bond book by Ian Fleming and he got him to throw it in the donate bin.

Does he know how much Ian fleming novels can sell for on ebay?

Hmmmm

First edition Ian Fleming books can fetch really high prices (according to Antiques Roadshow anyway).  Maybe it wasn't a first edition, but that doesn't mean it's junk.  I've got a house full of books and very few of them are worth real money but I like reading them so they would be staying.

I'd like someone to come along to my place and provide better ways to store what I have.  That's not to say some stuff can't be thrown out, BUT, just because some celebrity cleaner thinks stuff should go because he has no appreciation of what other people have collected is not a valid reason to chuck stuff out on a huge scale IMO.

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

Decluttering your home

Could it be this show is just about decluttering.

The help of the show - is deciding - what to keep - and - what to go.

Doesn't mean what goes in the go box - goes to the dumpster.

Surely that decision is up to the householder inviting the help with the cleanout.

Perhaps advice is given on ways to economically dispose of & perhaps make a bit on the go things.

No time to include that in a declutter show.

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply