7 REPLIES 7

Depression & Inflammation Linked?

I suffer from depression, and I dont believe mine is linked to inflammation.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Same here, if it is, then I have been alllergic for over 15 years. Smiley Sad

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I know that stress makes my Allergies worse, dont know about depression.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

It is a very interesting read, just read it right through, and take away my throw away comment earlier.

I have had depression for years and also suffer from spine damage which flares up occasionally and requires anti inflamatory's now and then when it is bad.

I can not remember if I felt any different when taking the AI meds for my back, but then, I wasn't looking for it either.

I have just had to get another series of AI so will take particular notice of any change and let you know.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

My depression started as soon as my son died, nearly 15yrs ago, up until that day I was fine, didnt suffer from any depression.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I wish it was that simple. If I remember correctly that study was undertaken about 5 years ago with only 30 or 40 participants.

When the brain is unwell, it quite often manifests physically as well. However, if the study findings hold up, I am glad that those few who suffer depression whilst suffering ,or, having suffered from, allergies might be able to get some respite. When you feel physically run down, you usually feel like **bleep** but is it major depression or even depression at all?

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

This was after tests done on mice

http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/public/research/OldFriendsthegutbacteriathatwelivewithandwhygard...

Professor Lowry and fellow researchers aimed to further test evidence that the soil bacterium, Mycobacterium vaccae, activated immune cells to release cytokines (proteins called the 'bosses' of the immune system) which then increased the activity of sensory nerves. They also looked for brain regions involved and increased serotonin (a neurotransmitter involved in mood balance).

Findings indicate that the rise in autoimmune and inflammatory disorders over the past decades is partly due to lack of exposure to harmless microorganisms in the environment. It is argued that these microorganisms used to 'train' our systems to ignore molecules like, for instance, pollen or pet dander, rather than mounting an overly strong immune reaction to them.

The present study suggests that some of these 'old friends' (the gut bacteria that we were used to living with) may be of use in treating modern autoimmune and inflammatory disorders, including associated mood disorders.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply