Dogs locked in cars, a question

Is it illegal in nsw?

As far as I can tell it's not until such time as it causes the animal distress and then it becomes a case of Cruelty to an animal.

Someone in a facebook group is saying it is illegal. I'd really like to tell her to pull her to stop dpreading misinformation, but maybe she's right????

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Found this:

“Cars left stationary in the sun become ovens.  Ute trays also become extremely hot, so even those working on building sites with their dogs in the back need to pay particular attention to their animals during the hot weather,” said OShannessy.

There are serious fines and possible prison sentences for these offences:

- If a dog suffers as a result of being left in a car, the maximum penalty is $5,500 and can carry a six-month prison sentence.
- If a dog dies as a result of being left in a car, the maximum penalty is $22,000 and can carry a two-year prison sentence.

Members of the public are urged to contact local police or RSPCA NSW on 1300 CRUELTY (1300 278 3589) if they see a stressed animal left in a car.

http://rspcansw.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/gone-in-six-minutes-heatwave-weekend-no.html

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I dont think it is illegal but people should be very careful.

I went out this morning and parked the car for maybe 1hr in 18 deg.  It was quite hot in the car when I got back in.  Imagine the heat if it was 30 degrees outside.

As for tradesmen that carry their dog in the back of the ute I hope that they realise... nah they probably don't realise what they are doing.  Bouncy bouncy dog.

Joono
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

They couldn't make it illegal to lock a dog in a car... what if you parked outside a friends house and locked the dog in the car dropped something off at their front door and were only gone for 2/3 minutes on a cold winters day?

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

thanks Am3, that backs up what I thought. It's not an offence until the animal is in danger.

I hate seeing the hunting dogs in cages on the back of utes. Lots of young blokes around here have them. The poor bloody dogs spend all day and half the night in the cage . There's barely enough room for them to move around, they are lying on hard floors, can't poop or piddle without fouling their cage. I've seen them driving around of a night in the rain, and the dogs are wet and copping the windchill factor as well.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

semantics.

http://www.rspcaqld.org.au/TakeAction/CompanionAnimals/DogsDieHotCars/AnimalWelfareAlternatives

• DON’T leave your dog inside a stationary vehicle, even with the windows down (locked or otherwise). Leaving car windows down on an unattended vehicle is illegal and will not prevent a car from reaching extreme temperatures.

Leaving an animal without appropriate water and shelter is an offence under the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 and you may be prosecuted.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Can you leave a dog tied up at a shopping centre? 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply