Echidna rescued from Tasmanian lake

After news broke this week of a wombat rescued from a swim gone wrong in Woods Lake, tales of another curious creature rescued from a Tasmanian lake have emerged.

The land-dwelling monotreme - an echidna - was rescued from possible death by fisherman Neil "Nobby" Clark at Lake Echo in the Central Highlands in October.

Clark, from Game Fish Tasmania, said he was fly fishing in Lake Echo in waist-deep water when he spotted something odd in the water.

''I thought it was a platypus to start with," Clark said.

''The closer and closer it got to me I thought 'This doesn't look like a platypus at all'.

"Then I saw this little beak sticking up and that's when I realised it was an echidna.

"It made a beeline for me. I picked it up and it was shivering, it was very very cold in the lake - we could feel how cold it was through our waders."

http://www.standard.net.au/story/3533689/echidna-rescued-from-tasmanian-lake-video/?cs=135

There's some of us good blokes still around helpin them poor little critters out , Ay!

Darn good sock
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Hi--Sock--something in the Tassie water--what next ..........Richo.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Splendid that both times, there was someone there to rescue them ....  Heart

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I always wonder if they remember being saved by a human. Good stories Sock! : )

Just the other day....

Officers Christopher Kessinger, 26, and Steven Khaykin, 30, saw the hawk trying to flap its wings but unsuccessfully fly out. According to the NYPD, Kessinger put on "cloth gloves coated with plastic" and pulled the bird out of the water and into the boat." Then he and Khaykin dried the bird off with a towel.

The police say, "In the process of drying the bird off, it hopped back on Officer Kessinger’s arm, where it stayed for several minutes. The bird then flew off towards Manhattan in the direction of Battery Park."

Kessinger said, "He was just hanging out. He calmed down and knew we were not going to hurt him."

http://gothamist.com/2015/11/30/hawk_river_rescue.php

hawk.PNG

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving jimmy..Woman Happy

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

They remember the kindness, if not the individual.

If I buy bread at the local supermarket I'll take the first slice, the crust, from the bag, tear it up and leave it off to the side of the carpark, where it's safe for the birds to find it.

They don't know me, they probably never will, but it's not about me and them, it's about generosity, kindness.

This is what makes the world a livable place.

Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@ecar3483 wrote:

They remember the kindness, if not the individual.

I think they remember the individual, a dog knows the person who helped them by sight and smell.

A cat remembers which neighbour threw something at them.

Birds have very keen eyesight, especially hunting birds. I bet that particular one could could spot his rescuer by his ear shape from a kilometre away.

I reckon birds could see your retina pattern if they perched on your arm.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply