Favourite Quotations

Post your favourite quotations here. ๐Ÿ™‚

We could have a "quotation of the month" every month if there are enough quotations (the quotation with the most Helpfuls that would then be marked as Solution), or maybe we can mark as Solution all quotations with more than a certain number of Helpfuls, like 5 Helpfuls?

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 52
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Favourite Quotations

arctoph_49
Community Member

quote-the-problem-with-the-world-is-that-the-intelligent-people-are-full-of-doubts-while-the-charles-bukowski-45-44-47.jpg

....................................................................................................................................................

View solution in original post

Message 47 of 52
Latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Favourite Quotations

"Be yourself - everyone else is already taken."

Oscar Wilde

Message 2 of 52
Latest reply

Favourite Quotations

โNo man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.โž

โ€” MEDITATION XVII, John Donne

Message 3 of 52
Latest reply

Favourite Quotations

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Message 4 of 52
Latest reply

Favourite Quotations

โWe get no good

By being ungenerous, even to a book,

And calculating profits... so much help

By so much reading. It is rather when

We gloriously forget ourselves, and plunge

Soul-forward, headlong, into a bookโ€™s profound,

Impassioned for its beauty and salt of truthโ€”

โ€™Tis then we get the right good from a book.โž

โ€” 2.4.4. Aurora Leigh, Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Message 5 of 52
Latest reply

Favourite Quotations

"There is no friend as loyal as a book."

Ernest Hemingway

Message 6 of 52
Latest reply

Favourite Quotations

โTo argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.โž

โ€” The American Crisis, Thomas Paine

Message 7 of 52
Latest reply

Favourite Quotations

This isn't exactly a quote but we had a teacher (a nun) tell us this when I was in Year 7.

If you want to know if something is important or worth worrying about, use the 5 year rule.

If it will be affecting your life in some way in 5 years' time, it is important. If you will have forgotten it in 5 years' time, then take what you can from it and forget it.

She told this to us after about 90% of the class failed a Maths test and some girls got upset. LOL

She said the score wasn't important and we would have forgotten it in 5 years, all we needed to do was take note of the weak spots and work on them.

She wasn't quite right. I remember I scraped in at 54% but I know I wouldn't remember if she hadn't talked about it.

Message 8 of 52
Latest reply

Favourite Quotations

@springyzone wrote:

She wasn't quite right. I remember I scraped in at 54% but I know I wouldn't remember if she hadn't talked about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But maybe you remember mainly what she said about the 5-year rule, and indirectly about the test...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know, I still remember I had gone to Canberra for a few days years ago (more than 5 years ago!) and all went well, but on the last day the hotel called a taxi for me to go to the railway station, which happened to be very close (probably a 10-minute walk, but I could not carry all my bags, lol), so the taxi driver seemed to be annoyed and hate me. He basically threw the bags in the taxi without greeting or anything and was just rude, and to this day I don't know if it was something personal or just because it was such a short trip, but unfortunately I remember it even if that person was not important in any way in my life of course and I will never meet him again. I had not slept (I have insomnia even in normal circumstances, so you can imagine just before travelling, and also all the sadness that the holiday was over) so I looked messed up I guess, and maybe he thought there was something wrong with me, or maybe he was just tired of having to take people to the railway station from that hotel because it literally took a couple of minutes by taxi, so not much money for him... I don't know... ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 9 of 52
Latest reply

Favourite Quotations

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."

Cicero

Message 10 of 52
Latest reply