Fruits and vegetables poison more Americans than beef and chicken

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/6/8158289/food-poisoning

Does anyone know of a similar graph available for Australia?

Photobucket
Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

This bit makes me really wonder why? I don't eat things that are bruised however why are they saying to cut it off? I thought the skin in general would be the problem.

• Cut away any damaged or bruised areas on fresh fruits and vegetables before preparing and/or eating.
Photobucket
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

I did see a graph for mad cow disease in women, but then they realized it was just PMS..........Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

I did see a graph for mad cow disease in women, but then they realized it was just PMS..........Smiley Wink

GGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

I wash all fruit and veg's, no exceptions. 

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@donnashuggy wrote:

This bit makes me really wonder why? I don't eat things that are bruised however why are they saying to cut it off? I thought the skin in general would be the problem.

• Cut away any damaged or bruised areas on fresh fruits and vegetables before preparing and/or eating.

I'm intrigued also. If you look at Farmer's Market Produce, Organically Grown Fruit & Veg and produce from peoples gardens, it's all a bit like that. No Poisons etc. though. Maybe a wee bit brown & bruised, but it's far more tastier. 

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@horizon1907 wrote:

@donnashuggy wrote:

I'm intrigued also. If you look at Farmer's Market Produce, Organically Grown Fruit & Veg and produce from peoples gardens, it's all a bit like that. No Poisons etc. though. Maybe a wee bit brown & bruised, but it's far more tastier. 

Germs must escape into the bruise or something lol

Photobucket
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

This is all getting just a tad bit silly, a bit like the ever changing views on what foods are good for us.

People have been having problems from time to time from mishandled foods and probably always will  but if we panic every time it happens we'll shortly be reduced to a diet of boiled water and even that may be a little sus.

In general food handling is 1000% better than it has benn historically and the number of people who actually get ill are probably a very small percentage. Lets face it food handlimg in the home aint always what it should be.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

The U.S. imports a lot of produce from Mexico and while the fruit and vegetables meet USDA standards when they are brought over, it doesn't/can't regulate how this produce is grown. I remember reading an article a few years back about how Mexico is known to use polluted river water to irrigate crops and raw sewage as fertilizer, also known as night soil application. It was an eye opener for sure. That people are getting sick doesn't really surprise me. Even if you're able to wash away bacteria, what effects would polluted water have on our food?

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@creative*crisis wrote:

This is all getting just a tad bit silly, a bit like the ever changing views on what foods are good for us.

People have been having problems from time to time from mishandled foods and probably always will  but if we panic every time it happens we'll shortly be reduced to a diet of boiled water and even that may be a little sus.

In general food handling is 1000% better than it has benn historically and the number of people who actually get ill are probably a very small percentage. Lets face it food handlimg in the home aint always what it should be.

Surely the fact that these foods are mass produced like never before makes it difficult to compare?

Photobucket
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply