5 REPLIES 5

Give it back

i would imagine british museums are full of items taken from countries 'they felt they owned' at the time.

if they give everything back they could reduce the size of their museums by a huge amount.

bet if you took a look through there 'not on display' stuff there would be thousands of items.

i saw a program once on the adelaide museums 'not on display' collection and its huge.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Give it back

Think how long the wrangle has been going on between the Greek Government and the British Museum over the Elgin Marbles.  It may never be resolved.

Before the Melbourne Museum moved to a new building they were in an old building they shared with the State Library and underneath at least part of that building is an old underground passageway with storage rooms leading off it.  I had the opportunity to see some of the museum's collection of molluscs (seashells etc) not on display but stored in those chambers and it was overwhelming.  Drawer upon drawer of specimens.  Also in boxes were shells sent to the museumn by the public....with no data (location, when caught etc) so they were next to useless for display and scientific purposes.  It was fascinating.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Give it back

What worries me is that museums hold samples of human remains, and refuse on "scientific" grounds to return them.

From my standpoint it's simply unethical to hold those remains, any more than it would be wrong of me to clutch tightly to an urn containing the ashes of a museum director's dearly departed, and scream blue murder every time it was suggested that I might be a good chap and hand them over... ha ha.

The dead belong with their people, not in a box, and not in some basement vault, unless that is the practice of their people, in which case I acknowledge, respectfully, their choice, ha ha.

๐Ÿ™‚

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Give it back

The evils of cultural misappropriation.... Mwah ha ha ha ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX0SGaK8uu4

Ripping yarns...  The curse of the claw... (The trailer).

(Contains language that might otherwise be bleeped if used here, so please, those of you of fragile disposition, cover your delicate ears, ha ha).

๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Give it back

@ecar3483 wrote:

The evils of cultural misappropriation.... Mwah ha ha ha ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX0SGaK8uu4

Ripping yarns...  The curse of the claw... (The trailer).

(Contains language that might otherwise be bleeped if used here, so please, those of you of fragile disposition, cover your delicate ears, ha ha).

๐Ÿ™‚

any thread that quotes 'ripping yarns' must recieve many kudos!

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply