Halal Diggers

Halal certification: Army mandates Muslim-certified food for our Diggers

ONE third of combat rations ­offered to all Aussie troops now has to be halal-certified, despite the Australian Defence Force having fewer than 100 Muslims.

The orders that four of the 12 battle meal menu options offered to soldiers in the field need to be halal were approved by the Deputy Chief of Army Major General Rick Burr.

Under the new changes, ration packs should also contain kosher and vegetarian meals to help combat “menu fatigue”.

But the decision to include halal food has outraged many of the ADF’s almost 60,000 fulltime members and veterans who question how many millions of dollars of taxpayers’ money will now be handed over to unregulated halal certifiers — who are already the subject of a federal government inquiry.

Senator Cory Bernardi, who was a member of the senate inquiry that looked into halal certification, said the order “demonstrates just how our military has been captured by minority interests and appears to have suspended the application of common sense”.

“Our military should be defending our way of life, on and off the battlefield. Decisions like this suggest it has become more an instrument of supporting minority interests rather than being focused on the national interest,” he said.

Documents obtained under Freedom of Information show that ADF combat ration packs should contain a variety of menus including vegetarian, halal and kosher “to meet ADF’s commitment to providing an inclusive working ­environment.”

Former Army intelligence officer Bernie Gaynor, the Australian Liberty Alliance Senate candidate for Queensland, said: “Australia is not an Islamic country and our soldiers, sailors and airmen and women deserve better from the government and the politically-correct top brass.”

It follows the controversial decision last year by the Army to remove the motto “In this sign conque...because the phrase is associated with the Crusades — and that could be deemed offensive to Muslims.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/halal-certification-army-mandates-muslimcertified-food-for...

The lunatics are running the asylum.

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Halal Diggers

Absolutely stinks,is an insult to our service men and women.

Message 2 of 34
Latest reply

Halal Diggers

moonflyte
Community Member

I object.

Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

Halal Diggers

What ever happened to Bully Beef being the mainstay rations for our Armed Forces. It was good enough for our soldiers in WW1 & WW2 and Korea.

Why change anything?

Next thing you know, they will be expecting to be fed steak, eggs & chips and pavalovs.

Message 4 of 34
Latest reply

Halal Diggers

Under the new changes, ration packs should also contain kosher and vegetarian meals to help combat “menu fatigue

Do you have any problems with the veggos in defence, or is it only Muslims you're going after here? What about the Jewish members, are they allowed to eat "their" food?  I only ask because you have specifically titled your thread Halel Diggers.

Message 5 of 34
Latest reply

Halal Diggers

I always found on international flights it was good to say you were vegetarian as you got served first, not sure if that still applies!

Photobucket
Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

Halal Diggers

@tezza2844 wrote:

What ever happened to Bully Beef being the mainstay rations for our Armed Forces. It was good enough for our soldiers in WW1 & WW2 and Korea.

Why change anything?

Next thing you know, they will be expecting to be fed steak, eggs & chips and pavalovs.

Seems like you have some objection to our military personal eating anything other than Bully Beef. Do you eat dripping and bread? FYI sailors, airmen and soldiers get to eat food that you could only wish to eat, as for the pavalovs,..? I think that's a Polish missionary so I doubt if the diggers would want to eat something like that.

C rat packs are normally consumed by patrolling soldiers who are tasked to be away from their operating base for a lengthy time, that might be anywhere from 2-4or5 days or even longer,depending on the task.

Usually each member has a choice of what rat pack he would like to take and eat during the patrol and, more often than not, the contents of the pack would be shared with others who would reciprocate with whatever rat pack they were carrying. A combat ration pack doesn't sound all that appetising , and while some of them make it onto the favourites list, there are others that don't, but they all serve the purpose and sometimes even surprise the dining digger.

It's not unheard of, in these days of helicopter support, for a hot meal of steak and chips being brought to troops on patrol during a resupply in the field. So no, I don't think they expect to be fed steak and chips, but, I'm sure that they appreciate it when they are able to have such a meal when they're in their operating base and even more so when they're in the bush and this food arrives by airmail .

BTW there is probably a recruiting office somewhere close to where you live.

Message 7 of 34
Latest reply

Halal Diggers

@tezza2844 wrote:

Why change anything?

Would you be happy to be eating the food that was available in the shops between 1914 and 1953?

I sure would not like to be that restricted in what I could eat.....no frozen goodies or convenience food.

Even as far back as the 1960s the Navy was dishing up steak, eggs and chips both on the ships and the shore bases.  And the cooks were quite capable of producing a great pavlova if required....it just was not a favourite dish with the sailors that I knew.

They had a great range of dishes from roasts, stews, curries, steak and kidney pies, chicken dishes, spaghetti bolognese.......

Apart from the fact theat the food was cooked in bulk you would be hard pressed to know that you were not eating at home....the meals were probably more varied than the average family meals.

No Bully Beef in sight, even in the Army ration packs as far as I know....I never heard a soldier complain about their field rations and when they were at their base they had similar food to the Navy with plenty of choice.

Message 8 of 34
Latest reply

Halal Diggers

@skyrider12-au wrote:

@tezza2844 wrote:

Why change anything?

Seems like you have some objection to our military personal eating anything other than Bully Beef. Do you eat dripping and bread? FYI sailors, airmen and soldiers get to eat food that you could only wish to eat, as for the pavalovs,..? I think that's a Polish missionary so I doubt if the diggers would want to eat something like that.

C rat packs are normally consumed by patrolling soldiers who are tasked to be away from their operating base for a lengthy time, that might be anywhere from 2-4or5 days or even longer,depending on the task.

Usually each member has a choice of what rat pack he would like to take and eat during the patrol and, more often than not, the contents of the pack would be shared with others who would reciprocate with whatever rat pack they were carrying. A combat ration pack doesn't sound all that appetising , and while some of them make it onto the favourites list, there are others that don't, but they all serve the purpose and sometimes even surprise the dining digger.

It's not unheard of, in these days of helicopter support, for a hot meal of steak and chips being brought to troops on patrol during a resupply in the field. So no, I don't think they expect to be fed steak and chips, but, I'm sure that they appreciate it when they are able to have such a meal when they're in their operating base and even more so when they're in the bush and this food arrives by airmail .

BTW there is probably a recruiting office somewhere close to where you live.

Fishing 1.jpg

Message 9 of 34
Latest reply

Halal Diggers

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@tezza2844 wrote:

Why change anything?

Would you be happy to be eating the food that was available in the shops between 1914 and 1953?

I sure would not like to be that restricted in what I could eat.....no frozen goodies or convenience food.

Even as far back as the 1960s the Navy was dishing up steak, eggs and chips both on the ships and the shore bases.  And the cooks were quite capable of producing a great pavlova if required....it just was not a favourite dish with the sailors that I knew.

They had a great range of dishes from roasts, stews, curries, steak and kidney pies, chicken dishes, spaghetti bolognese.......

Apart from the fact theat the food was cooked in bulk you would be hard pressed to know that you were not eating at home....the meals were probably more varied than the average family meals.

No Bully Beef in sight, even in the Army ration packs as far as I know....I never heard a soldier complain about their field rations and when they were at their base they had similar food to the Navy with plenty of choice.

fishing 2.jpg

Message 10 of 34
Latest reply