Howard "embarrassed

Former prime minister John Howard says he was 'embarrassed' that Australia joined the war in Iraq on intelligence that the country had weapons of mass destruction that later appeared to be inaccurate.

Speaking to Channel Seven, Mr Howard says the intelligence presented to him by United States authorities indicated that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, which posed a threat to the West.

He says it was on those reports that he along with the National Security Committee of Cabinet sent Australian troops into Iraq.

"I was struck by the force of the language used in the American national intelligence assessment late in November 2002," he told Sunday Night.

"It brought together all the American intelligence and paragraph after paragraph, they said, we judge Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and even talked about potential nuclear capacity."

Mr Howard also spoke on the current terror levels, saying Australia still faced a real threat.

"I don't think any Australian should assume we won't have a terrorist incident here," he said.

He also said a focus on integrating Muslim youths into the mainstream would help prevent them becoming radicalised.

"As many people know I'm not an overwhelming fan of the doctrine of multiculturalism."

"I believe in bringing people of different races, different religions, to this country but once you're here you've got to become part of the mainstream community."
Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Howard "embarrassed

1000's of civilians killed in that war too & for what?

Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

Howard "embarrassed

I don't think he should be embarrassed he acted on what he thought was in the best interest of the country on information that at the time appeared to be quite credible and while he may well have had the second last word on going to war there would have been many more before him who believed the intellegance as it was presented
Photobucket
Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

Howard "embarrassed

@kilroy_is_here wrote:
I don't think he should be embarrassed he acted on what he thought was in the best interest of the country on information that at the time appeared to be quite credible and while he may well have had the second last word on going to war there would have been many more before him who believed the intellegance as it was presented

He was informed the "intelligence" about WMD was wrong and ignored that advice.

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

Howard "embarrassed

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/2014/09/bst_20140922_0832.mp3

Andrew Wilkie says he should have been charged with conspiracy to commit mass murder.

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

Howard "embarrassed

He would have received lots of advice from lots of different sources and would have had to make a decision after summing up all that was placed before him then he would have recommend a course of action to cabinet who would have to endorsed it , the opposition would have to been briefed , parliament would need to be informed and then before 1 foot could be set out side of a military base the governor General would have to add the queens seal to it.
Photobucket
Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

Howard "embarrassed

I didn't watch that interview. did he say whether or not he was embarrassed by the 'children overboard' incident?

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

Howard "embarrassed

Was he embarrassed that he refused to move to Canberra?

Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

Howard "embarrassed

@kilroy_is_here wrote:
He would have received lots of advice from lots of different sources and would have had to make a decision after summing up all that was placed before him then he would have recommend a course of action to cabinet who would have to endorsed it , the opposition would have to been briefed , parliament would need to be informed and then before 1 foot could be set out side of a military base the governor General would have to add the queens seal to it.

The government does not have to gain parliamentary approval (or the GG's) to deploy troops or to declare war.

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply