Is it safe for your cat or dog to eat a vegan diet?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-07/can-your-pet-become-vegan/10969616

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

humans have evolved to be able to live on a diet of junk food.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

The report says pretty much what I suspected.

Look at the animal's teeth. That will tell you what sort of diet they have evolved to.

Cats are meat eaters.

That's how life has evolved on this planet, that some animals kill prey to survive, and some eat plants and some are a bit of both.

I think if you are a vegan, then in all fairness, don't own a cat.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

humans have evolved to be able to live on a diet of junk food.

Are you really saying there's no correlation between the increase in junk food consumption and the increase in health problems?

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Definitely not recommended for cats.

Over the years pet food manufacturers have tried to save money (and make more profit) by bulking out wet canned food with vegetables and rice.  Dogs probably don't mind as they are omnivorous but cats aren't so keen.

Whiskas did it years ago with rice and the day I opened a can of Jellymeat that was actually 90% rice was the last day I bought any of their products.  Actually it wasn't long afterwards that they reverted to cat food without rice.  Funny that.

My current cat likes a particular brand of wet cat food which for a while suddenly introduced a 'with vegetables or rice' range.  The supermarket substituted an out of stock item with one of them and the food remained uneaten.  I notice only one can in the range includes vegetables these days.

If some of the big cat food manufacturers want customers to continue to buy their products they should just suck it up and face facts that a variety of meat (fish, chicken, beef etc) is best for cats.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Cats cannot survive on vegan diet, dogs might do bit better, but then again every single true vegan I met looks sick.  There are some who claim to be vegan, but I know they cheat.  If true vegan wants a pet, they can get a rabbit.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

A pal of mine a dedicated animal activist (not one of the OTT ones) went vegan for a few   weeks, obviously didn't  supplement it properly and became severely anaemic.      Reluctantly she is no longer a vegan.   However at least she didn't   believe in her pets going vegan.  So they thrived while she   withered away.       🤐

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@bright.ton42 wrote:

A pal of mine a dedicated animal activist (not one of the OTT ones) went vegan for a few   weeks, obviously didn't  supplement it properly and became severely anaemic.      Reluctantly she is no longer a vegan.   However at least she didn't   believe in her pets going vegan.  So they thrived while she   withered away.       🤐

If these activist are so worried about animals being killed for food why aren't they out there stopping this:

Tsalala-lioness-kill-wildebeest-JT-1598x1065.jpg

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Because they are too busy rescuing animals from human atrocities.   

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@bright.ton42 wrote:

Because they are too busy rescuing animals from human atrocities.   

So animal "atrocities" are completely acceptable ?

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply