11 REPLIES 11

Just give them back

Yes they should but I doubt that they will.  This has been going on for years. 

They were taken under very dodgy circumstances. 

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Just give them back

I've heard that Gibraltar is a sore point too, with Spain renewing calls for it's return

https://www.ft.com/content/11b4dfdc-4da8-11ea-95a0-43d18ec715f5 

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Just give them back

They nicked them - and - are not going to return them.

The objects were removed from the Parthenon at Athens and from other ancient buildings and shipped to England by arrangement of Thomas Bruce, 7th Lord Elgin, who was British ambassador to the Ottoman Empire (1799โ€“1803).

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Just give them back

@ambercat16 wrote:

I've heard that Gibraltar is a sore point too, with Spain renewing calls for it's return

https://www.ft.com/content/11b4dfdc-4da8-11ea-95a0-43d18ec715f5 

The difference with Gibraltar and the Falkland Islands is that the inhabitants overwhelmingly wish to stay British.

The Elgin Marbles don't get a say.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Just give them back

very true

I have been to Gibraltar and the locals (well, the few I managed to talk to in the short visit) consider themselves totally British

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Just give them back

@bright.ton42 wrote:

Yes they should but I doubt that they will.  This has been going on for years. 

They were taken under very dodgy circumstances. 

Agree, they should be given back.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Just give them back

I don't disagree with giving them back, but from a negotiating point of view the English could say "Righto boys, one in all in, everybody turn out your pockets (read museums) and start shipping all "your" stuff back to whence it came"

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Just give them back

martinw-48
Community Member
I'm fairly certain that only the Vikings went to England to steal stuff and in the end the English would ask them how much they wanted to save them the hassles of physically going there.
Unless I missed the part about the Greek invasion of England in history lessons.
Don't forget that a precedent was set when the British museum returned Aboriginal artifacts and I haven't heard of other countries having been asking for years for there stuff back.
Surely the fact that the Turks let this "Lord" steal some Greek statues makes it pretty dodgy.
Bit like having your neighbour open your garage and having a sale
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply