Kids on cars

trancreave
Community Member

Well the move went as well as can be expected. the place is comfortable for the most part, the neighbors seem friendly, even helping with the heavy stuff. But there is one thing, thats kids on cars. The parking lot, the only place around to park my car substitutes as a playground for the children of the complex. That means dents from kids riding bicycles into cars, damage from kids throwing things on top of my car for other kids to climb up on to retrieve. I can for the most part see this from my window, I have yet to determine if thats good or bad. Watching them damage my car is making me a nervious wreck. 

The only advice or relief I get from the apartment manager, staff, ect. is that I shouldn't be parking such a nice car where I know it will get damaged. I should trade down I guess, get a junky car.

Your thoughts?, This is my home now, one I plan to have for the rest of my life. (fingers crossed, God willing)

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Kids on cars

I don't know that trading down is the only answer, having a reliable car is important.

There's a security risk in having a car in a car park, as well as the danger of damage.

I'm just wondering if there are any alternatives. Are there houses nearby? Maybe someone has an empty garage space or room in their drive that they would hire out to you on a weekly/monthly basis. You could do a message drop along the street, just your first name and mobile number.

I've heard of other people hiring parking spots, worth a try.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Kids on cars

Choose a different spot to park, get a car cover or ask the children to be careful and not to climb on it.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Kids on cars

Haven't you only just moved in? How much damage could they have possibly caused in such a short time?

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Kids on cars

@azureline** wrote:
Choose a different spot to park, get a car cover or ask the children to be careful and not to climb on it.

That would be like waving a red flag to a bull, do not do this they will target it even more. As someone else said park it elsewhere, out on the street or hire someones garage.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Kids on cars

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

Haven't you only just moved in? How much damage could they have possibly caused in such a short time?

where did the op say the car has been

damaged?  she can see it happening given

the circumstances (in the future)

the cover is a good idea.  looking at the bright

side - maybe less chances of it being stolen with

the kids being around a lot.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Kids on cars

@trancreave wrote:

Well the move went as well as can be expected. the place is comfortable for the most part, the neighbors seem friendly, even helping with the heavy stuff. But there is one thing, thats kids on cars. The parking lot, the only place around to park my car substitutes as a playground for the children of the complex. That means dents from kids riding bicycles into cars, damage from kids throwing things on top of my car for other kids to climb up on to retrieve. I can for the most part see this from my window, I have yet to determine if thats good or bad. Watching them damage my car is making me a nervious wreck. 

The only advice or relief I get from the apartment manager, staff, ect. is that I shouldn't be parking such a nice car where I know it will get damaged. I should trade down I guess, get a junky car.

Your thoughts?, This is my home now, one I plan to have for the rest of my life. (fingers crossed, God willing)

so, that's what the world has come down to. You mustn't have a nice car and park it where it interferes with the kids?

One solution of course, if you can see it from your window, a rifle with telescopic sites?

No, I'm not suggestion you shoot the little dears - just a slug gun,

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Kids on cars

car alarm?

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Kids on cars

gleee58
Community Member

Be polite, get to know the kids, don't let them see that it bothers you and develop a relationship with the neighbours.

That's not saying live in each others pockets and visit twice a day but smile, say hello and keep it friendly.

As they get to know and like you they will not abuse your belongings.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply