Kiva loan :)

Aww my 14 year old son just happily paid for a Kiva loan out of his own money. I suggested it to him after showing him the one I did last night and he didn't hesitate to say yes.

Just a little bit proud that he did that :-x
Message 1 of 472
Latest reply
471 REPLIES 471

**girl_interrupted**
Community Member
Kiva is awesome. I've made several loans through them. Your son should be very proud of himself, because I've tried to get many of my adult friends to loan through Kiva and no-one has been intersted.
Message 2 of 472
Latest reply

benscot25
Community Member
What is ...Kiva?
Message 3 of 472
Latest reply

Never heard of a kiva loan...what is it?
Message 4 of 472
Latest reply

We recently returned from one of those countries, so I'm not sure he would have done it 6 weeks ago.

I have a couple of friends that make loans and it's one of those things I've been meaning to get around to :8} but really have only heard of it this year.
Message 5 of 472
Latest reply

Never heard of a kiva loan...what is it?

From the website

"We are a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the internet and a worldwide network of microfinance institutions, Kiva lets individuals lend as little as $25 to help create opportunity around the world."
Message 6 of 472
Latest reply

**girl_interrupted**
Community Member
Kiva is based on microfinance where you loan money whichy goes directly to a person/s in a devleoping country to help them improve their lives. It could be to help them in their business, for example , I lent some money to a lady who had a soft drink business to buy more soft drinks to sell. She repaid the loan in full and business has really picked up.

I like it a lot because it's a more bottom-up/grass-roots approach where the money ACTUALLY gets to the poor people rather than corrupt govts getting the money and feathering their own nests with it.
Message 7 of 472
Latest reply

So...what's the website address, what a beautiful idea.
I was an investor in micro loans re Burmuda fishermen and women. They got forgotten when the investment dollar in Burmuda became bigger than the concern for the local fisherman/woman.
Message 8 of 472
Latest reply

It's Kiva.org, just googling Kiva works for me. I'm going to try and get my workmates on board, I suggested it this week when they were talking about sponsoring a child. In a work situation it will be much easier to get just a one off donation from everyone rather than needing to get everyone paying in regularly for sponsorship.
Message 9 of 472
Latest reply

Sounds like an interesting idea.I will take a look.Thank you:-x
Message 10 of 472
Latest reply