Leelah Alcorn's Story; Her Suicide Is 'Heartbreaking'

I just recieved this desturbing news last night. I can't stay and post, but do want to go into more depth on this at a later time. Please feel free to research this and post links to any and all relivant information.

Please send prayers and well wishes for her in the afterlife, a I have and will continue to in my own prayers.

http://w11.zetaboards.com/Fun_Factor/topic/10879023/1/#new

She lived in the next major city down the river from where I had been staying. Wish I could have known and found a way to prevent this.

Fun Factor : Now you have a choice in chat, factor that
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I read about this a few days ago. Very sad, indeed.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Joanie, it is amazing that in todays age so many people still have no idea what being transgender means and absolutely refuse to listen to facts.

Religious fanatics and bigots are the worst offenders. Causing a lot of heartbreak and sorrow.

There are stories about young children insisting to be different than the sex they are born. Boys refusing to have their hair cut and insisting to wear dresses and play with dolls. Girls on the other hand will wear only boys clothes and play football.

I even got admonished on these boards when I asked you if you are transgender.

This is a topic, I feel should be openly talked about, not someting shoved under the table as if it was something to be ashamed about.

(((((Hugs))))) Erica

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I also read this story- so sad.

Perhaps people will talk about their lives openly a little more, because of Leelah and others like her.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

@youcandoityoucandoityoucandoit wrote:

I also read this story- so sad.

Perhaps people will talk about their lives openly a little more, because of Leelah and others like her.

It was sad that her parents refused to allow her friends to attend the funeral and refused to refer to her as a her at her funeral, or even to acknowledge the struggle at the funeral.  Their head in the sand approach cost their child's life and they still refuse to see how they contributed to the outcome.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you all. I have been very busy today, well really this past week, getting into this shelter, I've become involved in a church as a volunter and will be giving out food this saturday. I was feeling really good, like a new outlook.

After hearing about this, I think about how i'm past the point where it even comes into being an issue. I'm glad people don't even question it anymore and just see me as I really am, a woman. But now, I think maybe I shouldn't hide the fact that i'm transgender. Maybe I should put feelers out there and make myself known for the sake of those like Leelah. I mean, she lived not very far from where I am.

She could have kept this secret for just alittle while longer, picked a better moment when she had more control over her situation Yes, there are certain advantages to doing this when one is young, but nothing is written in stone. I don't believe a couple of more years would have hurt the progress too much. I was much older when I started transition, and I think in my case it went rather well. I pass without trying. It's hard to say why I waited so long, I guess it just took me this long to come to terms with it.

Joanie, it is amazing that in todays age so many people still have no idea what being transgender means and absolutely refuse to listen to facts. Religious fanatics and bigots are the worst offenders. Causing a lot of heartbreak and sorrow.

It means diffrent things for diffrent people. For me, it was hard at first but got easyer. Right now, my homeless situation is the uphill battle in my life. I'm a woman and accepted as such by so many, that the few who knew me from before and don't, dosen't bother me anymore like it used to. Religious beliefs do complicate it, but who's to say those beliefs aren't flawed. Anyone can put their own spin on anything, if the parrents were more flexable, maybe their daughter wouldn't have seen this as the only way out.

There are stories about young children insisting to be different than the sex they are born. Boys refusing to have their hair cut and insisting to wear dresses and play with dolls. Girls on the other hand will wear only boys clothes and play football.

I very seldom ever wear dresses and high heals, but it's comforting to know that I have that option. I put that on my things to do list when I get into a place.

I even got admonished on these boards when I asked you if you are transgender. This is a topic, I feel should be openly talked about, not someting shoved under the table as if it was something to be ashamed about 

I have to be honest. I would much rather be seen as a woman, just any other woman, than as a transgender woman, but if it would help others facing what I have went through with this, then I would openly be transgender. has anyone any ideas on what I can do for her memory?, I somehow feel like I should do something. I can manage a trip to Cincinatti if need be.

Fun Factor : Now you have a choice in chat, factor that
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

What about a donation to a suicide prevention charity in her name?

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I think, with this post, you honoured Lelahs memory and your own life.

Thank you for being honest.

Sending you good thoughts Heart

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply