Love thy neighbour. How far should it go?

I and 2 other neighbours have been made ....by default....  responsible for our neighbours health.  She's been sent home from hospital after 10 days, having spent a day and a night in the rain on the concrete outside her back door. After I found her, I called the ambulance who tried to get her to come with them....refused...police were called...  had her stomach drained of fluid.   Sent home on Friday last...had another fall on Saturday....went to see her this morning..she had another fall and ambulance took her to hospital again.

Because she's so stubborn and negative...72.....they can't help her unless she agrees....meanwhile they send her home to an empty house............cos she told them "my friend and my neighbours will look after me."    

It's ridiculous....we are not responsible for her welfare.  she has a son up north that she refuses to be notified as her next of kin. 

So that leaves us 3...should she come home again.  I'm  looking after her 2 dogs and others are feeding and watering her geese etc..

Surely there's some agency or other that can step in?   

Any suggestions anyone.  I don't mind helping but this is getting ridiculous.  How long does she have to lie out/in before someone finds her (prob me)...before anyone will do anything definite to save her from herself?

Message 1 of 84
Latest reply
83 REPLIES 83

Community Health, do you have one nearby? Do you have her son's details? call him.

Unless she has named you as her POA or Guardian, you cannot be expected to take care of her.

Message 2 of 84
Latest reply

Call the hospital she is in and tell the social worker perhaps.

Message 3 of 84
Latest reply

silverfaun
Community Member

You are a good neighbour by the sounds of it but you are being put upon. Unfortunatly this woman sounds like she has mental health issues so good luck with trying to get any help in that dept.

You could contact the Salvos. Sorry I wish there was more help you could get with this, maybe someone on here could advise you. 

Message 4 of 84
Latest reply

This may be the right one Gilly.

http://www.myagedcare.gov.au/

Message 5 of 84
Latest reply

Usually a hospital won't send anyone home if they need care unless they have confirmed that there is help at home, for example they have called up and asked the neighbour if they are going to help. The hospital cannot let her go home into your care unless they are 100% sure you are there to look after her. 

How did she get home? Was it the ambulance or taxi? That will usually indicate her care requirements. 

Who told you that the hospital let her go home because you will care for her? Was it the lady herself? Chances are she is just playing you for assistance rather than go to a nursing home. She might be stubborn but in reality she is being manipulative. 

Where I am the CHIP team are responsible for care of patients that go home and need medical assistance. 

At the hospital they also have trained people that go around as make the assesments for a person to have in home care. 

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/tpch/documents/hbacs2.pdf

Example of a CHIP unit brochure... see of your local hospital has one and if they are looking after her. 

Message 6 of 84
Latest reply

she has been offered home nursing, emergency thingos for round her neck by the local care agency, every thing she has said no to.   they haven't even done an ACAT assessment, cos they asked her and she said NO in no uncertain terms.  basically they sent her home so she would "fail" and HAVE to ask for the help she had declined.   

Meanwhile backin the neighbourhood.  it's us who have to check on her to see if she's still alive?  not good enough I don't think. I don't need thsi extra stress.

Message 8 of 84
Latest reply

she has refused all offers of help Cat.   hence the problem. 

Message 9 of 84
Latest reply

Do you have her sons number? I suggest you call him to let him know what is going on.

We are/were in the same boat with our 82 year old neighbour although he is more mobile. We were taking him to drs appointments, taking in food, doing shopping, checking him daily etc. Everytime he landed in hospital he refused to tell his children who both lived interstate.

When he went into hosptal the last time we went through his address book and called his son who got on the phone and arranged everything. The old bloke gets a nurse to the house daily, someone to cook/clean and meals on wheels.

Message 10 of 84
Latest reply