Let;s see how we go.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 1 of 452
Latest reply
451 REPLIES 451

Mental Illness Awareness and Support Thread

Okay, I'm here.

First step taken.

I have undiagnosed depression now.  Nearly 30 years ago I was hospitalized for 3 weeks with a "disorder" of the mind.  In that place, I thought "I shouldn't be here, these other patients are crazy".  I realized later on, that mental illness affects  us in different ways.

20 years ago I kept up 6 months of appointments with a psychiatrist.  Never on medication. I thought just talking would do the "trick" to just "get over it".

That old thing called "pride" stands in the way of treatment.  

I have 3 children. 2 boys who live interstate.

One I saw (with my two grandaughters for the first and only time) for an hour last October for the first time in over 5 years (not his fault).  He rang me on Xmas Day.

The other son  I hadn't been in contact for over 2 years.  I rang him in early February.

The reason I made no effort to see them was "I didn't want them or the grandaughters to see and witness my weakness of mind.

I have a daughter who lives about a 3 hour drive away. She is diagnosed with Bipolar.  She has made some poor choices in life.

It is very tiring for me to support her at times; more so due to me having a lack of mental strength.  We talk on an average weekly.

I am visiting her this afternoon and staying for a few days.

I wonder if this thread will still be here when I return.  

I hope for everyone that it is still here. We may help the community become more educated and supportive of the affects of mental illness.

DEB

BEHIND THE MASK - SOFTLY, SOFTLY

Message 2 of 452
Latest reply

windrake
Community Member

My Sister has suffered all her life, her son has been exceptiional in his care for her. Our mother was eccentric and there has been suicide in my family history.

I know it's hard and I commisserate with families and their  partners who have to deal with it. It's a sensitive topic and sometimes there's no relief from the worry.

A careing friend doesn't stay too long, it's too draining to deal with day after day so a caring thread is nice for a change. Thanks for your kind post and thanks for the opportunity to put down on paper what is not often discussed easily.

We all know where to go for professional help and Lifeline is a great listener, there's such a lot of support for families now, Beyond Blue, Lifeline and other NGO's so that's a good thing.

Thanks again Heart

Message 3 of 452
Latest reply

It took me over an hour to give my "resume".  You all popped up in front of me!  I guess I need some practice at putting my thoughts to paper.

Can I suggest, that if we are responding to a message that we put the number of that message in our reply?  Some confusion came about in previous threads that caused some heartache and anger that looked to be at cross purposes.

DEB

Message 4 of 452
Latest reply

Heart

Message 5 of 452
Latest reply

Not sure what happened there..

Thank you to all who have already posted, I think that in being vulnerable and sharing your stories, you are brave. You are giving insight to those who lack it, and a chance for them to become more sensitive and develop more empathy. The world needs that.

I too hope this thread can remain and give support to those who need it.

Message 6 of 452
Latest reply

To your # 11 

I take so.....   l o n g  ..... to type my message that sometimes that identity has written a couple times.  Let's see how I go.

Good on you all. 

Deb

Message 7 of 452
Latest reply

I have nothing up add on the topic, but just on the technical points you raise Deb.
I usually read and post on my iPhone. I can't see any post numbers nor can I direct answers to any one post. I think they all automatically respond to the OP. Quoting is a PITA too.
Perhaps, if people are responding to a particular post they need to be quite specific.

Creator of the Most Awesome Thread Topic EVER

@darksideofthemoon wrote:

It took me over an hour to give my "resume".  You all popped up in front of me!  I guess I need some practice at putting my thoughts to paper.

Can I suggest, that if we are responding to a message that we put the number of that message in our reply?  Some confusion came about in previous threads that caused some heartache and anger that looked to be at cross purposes.

DEB

Deb you highlight their message and then cut and paste it you can then answer it and everyone will know what you are referring to.  I can tell you how if you have an Apple Mac, but I expect you have Microsoft and we will need someone with Microsoft to explain how to you ๐Ÿ™‚

you just need to click on the post you want to reply to then click on the blue quote button on the top right corner.

good luck with this thread, I hope it goes well for everyone posting, but please keep in mind its not a private thread so only post what you are comfortable sharing with the whole world.

Message 9 of 452
Latest reply

Hello Bluecat Woman Happy

I admire you and always have and I think that you know that.I wish you and everyone else who posts here all the very best..

I don't post what I am about to post  easily nor without very good reason (I wouldn't post it otherwise) and I do it out of concern for others .I wish I didn't have the personal experiences which are the reason for my concern.

I posted as you know on the last Mental Health thread.As a carer I shared experiences in the hope that I was helping and also raising awareness.It took a lot for me to do that...but some like to or don't want to see it that way...it will to them be a weak thing to do .I know as most should where the weakness actually exists for people who do that...but knowing that doesn't mean it can't hurt when that sort of information is used by the wrong people (those same people can enter and read ANY thread)

especially when things are really difficult in RL as anyone who has mental illness in their lives knows well.The difficult thing is that if that info isn't there others don't know when those times are ...then again those who do give others a hard time over such things may tend to not care if they know when those times are ...and even see their target at his/her weakest point (in RL) and take advantage of that.

I cared and worried and lost sleep over posters on the thread .At the time I considered many to be 'friends'.The reality of course is that I knew no one personally and the longer i am on the boards the reality of that becomes clearer and clearer.I, unfortunately learnt to be careful and keep a bit of a distance because the truth is that all posters can be anyone ,anyone can read and use what you post to hurt you in the most painful of ways,If not now..then later on down the track  .There are also people who will take advantage of others kindness and hurt them even while doing that .My weakness was that I would forgive too much if I thought another poster was doing it tough.I could be played like that and looking back I didn't need that in my life and it made my life more difficult when it was already difficult enough .I think everyone should know that their own health,safety and wellbeing comes first and that if ever a poster feels the need to hurt others or is being hurt by others and you can't overcome that...please for your own sake and the sake of all who post here consider the need to step back a bit and address those things.

In an ideal world  the shared discussion here is safe from abuse and we would all be safe,happy and well and genuinely good people to boot .Reality isn't like that.My words didn't come out how I want them to...please know my intent is good .

All the best to this thread and each and every poster who posts within it 

Message 10 of 452
Latest reply