More funding needed

Every day of the festive period 74 women across Australia reached out to rape and domestic violence support services.

I hope that increased funding is provided for these support services who do a brilliant job with a relatively small amount of money.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/74-women-a-day-sought-rape-and-domestic-violence-support-over-festive...

Between December 21 and January 3, Rape and Domestic Violence Services Australia assisted 1043 individual clients across its three telephone services – a 32 per cent increase on the same period last year.

There was also a 22 per cent rise in the number of calls answered by its crisis counsellors.

Rape and Domestic Services Australia executive officer Karen Willis said: "The additional federal funding we have received this year has assisted us to increase the contacts we can respond. Unfortunately the number of clients also continues to increase."

The service runs the NSW Rape Crisis Centre and 1800RESPECT – which both operate around the clock – as well as Sexual Assault Counselling Australia.

Ms Willis confirmed many callers were women experiencing domestic violence inside the family home. Crisis counselling was also provided to female victims of rape and indecent assaults at end-of-year work functions, Christmas parties and New Year's Eve celebrations.

"Increased community discussion surrounding sexual assault and domestic violence is definitely leading to more women coming forward," Ms Willis said.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

More funding needed

And then the Government allows men like Jeff Allen and Owen Cook to come into our country to hold seminars about how to violate women to make them do what the men want.

Absolute hypocricy.

Erica

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

More funding needed

The leader of that "organisation" had his visa revoked a year or so ago. Why another of that despicable group of seven "men" has been allowed here to promote the degradation, abuse and molestation of women is hard to fathom. There is a petition that had over 56,000 signatures when I signed. it. Why "men" would go to these so-called seminars shows that there is a long way to go before women, generally, are treated with dignity and respect.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

More funding needed

esayaf
Community Member
Hey, they are not men. They are unthinking oxygen thevies. Not deserving of the gift of life
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

More funding needed

According to a blink-and-you'll-miss-it  snippet in my Sunday paper today Real Social Dynamics tweeted yeaterday that all RSD events in Australia were 'cancelled until further notice' and tour dates removed from their website.  I just hope that report is correct.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

More funding needed

I hope that that is true, too, She-ele.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

More funding needed

It's over 65000 now

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

More funding needed

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-19/jeff-allen-pick-up-artist-visa-cancelled-after-petition-launch...

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has cancelled the visa of so-called pick-up artist Jeff Allen.

The ABC understands that Mr Allen, an employee of the US-based Real Social Dynamics (RSD), left of his own accord on Sunday and his visa was subsequently revoked.

He had been touring Australia, sparking a petition of more than 62,000 signatures calling for his deportation.

Yesterday afternoon Vibe Hotels announced it had cancelled Mr Allen's planned events at its hotels after RSD booked events under another name.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

More funding needed

Excellent news

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply