Muslim cleric becomes NSW police chaplain

How is this possible?

Can someone explain please?

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/11/27/muslim-cleric-becomes-nsw-police-chaplain

Message 1 of 61
Latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

That's an easy one,ufo.Everyone knows that 99% of prisoners in N.S.W are muslim.:)
Message 2 of 61
Latest reply

Easy to explain, UFO

"Traditionally, a chaplain is a minister, such as a priest, pastor, rabbi, imam or lay representative of a religious tradition, attached to a secular institution such as a hospital, prison, military unit, school, police department, university, or private chapel."

Wiki

Message 3 of 61
Latest reply

@j*oono wrote:

I was waiting for this thread two days ago.

How come we have a serious number of radicals racists and nutjobs around here now?

What you insinuating here?

Message 4 of 61
Latest reply

As posted above by iapetus.

Just like a Military unit, the Chaplain might not be your "faith" but he accomodates everyone's needs where possible.

Admittedly they are likely to have a chaplain that is the same as most of the believers but I know in one of my units

they had a Catholic chaplain. Still good to talk to.

IMHO, this is a sensible move by the NSW Police and should be applauded.

Interesting the last one was a Sheik.

I am surprised they only have one.

And as for the comment about Radical racists and nutjobs, really ????

If he is relating this to some posts of the last week and relating it to this thread, I think he should probably say anti Muslim bigot as opposed to a racist.

Which by the way I haven't seen much of (anti Muslim) so not sure why some of the more heated posts automatically

makes one a racist or a bigot in others eyes.

Freedom of speech not allowed in this country anymore ????

Message 5 of 61
Latest reply

@ufo_investigations wrote:

How is this possible?

Can someone explain please?

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/11/27/muslim-cleric-becomes-nsw-police-chaplain

To explain. The cleric  succeeded the late Muslim NSW police chaplain Sheikh Khalil Chami, who died in 2011. The

new appointee is not the only Police chaplain in NSW nor is he the leading chaplain........there's plenty of other

flavours as well.........

To use an analogy......... I used to always buy a Chocky milkshake from the same milk bar daily even though they also

sold banana, vanilla, caramel, strawberry and lime milkshakes. My friends all liked different flavours so I understood why

they stocked the other syrups

However, one day when I ordered my customary Chocky milkshake I was informed that Lime was the flavour of the

month and due to a misorder there was no Chocky flavoured syrup until tomorrow.

I was devestated....

I had to make a decision whether to try another flavour milkshake, frequent another milk bar or just plain go without.....

I decided that... just for the day........ a caramel milkshake would quench my thirst, ease my want and comfort me.

(after all they are all milkshakes )

It was like an epiphany (to coin a christian term)...... all those years and all those flavours and blinkered me only had

eyes for Chocolate... Now I understood why some of my friends preferred varying flavours.

It opened my eyes..... so now wqhen I need comforting at the milk bar most times I still have chocolate

... but in an emergency when I really need comforting...then I will jump at a banana, strawberry or caramel milkshake....

even Lime at a pinch, with a stiff breeze.... I will accept.

If you would prefer the milk bar you frequent to only serve Chocolate milkshakes then I suggest you move much closer

for best service..................

Don't let the customs gate hit you on the Rrr's on the way out

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 6 of 61
Latest reply

There are more than 100 police Chaplains of varying "flavours" throughout NSW

for the record........See December 2013 on the link

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/for_the_record

Chaplaincy is available 24/7 for crisis intervention with more than 100 chaplains across NSW.

Message 7 of 61
Latest reply

colic

My bad. I should have added the word "one Muslim" chaplain.
Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Message 8 of 61
Latest reply

I can't believe  somebody who spends all their time searching for alien life forms cannot spare 1 minute to google

before they start a topic

.... I would suggest the story header contained just enough racial "evidence"  to sound the sirens and light the flashing

lights in the OP's mind  ie "Muslim" "chaplain" and "police"

.... and I bet..... 5 cents....... you thought the siren noise  was actually Tinnitus UFO??

Seek and ye shall find (note to self...pull head out of sand and wipe eyes before conducting search)

https://opus.lib.uts.edu.au/research/bitstream/handle/10453/7439/2006005183.pdf?sequence=1

The Chaplain’s role

In New South Wales, Australia, there are 5 paid Senior Police Chaplains and 102 honorary
police chaplains, 67 (of which 65 are male) in the country and 34 (of which 31 are male) in the
city.

One requirement of being a police chaplain in NSW is to be an ordained minister.

This creates an issue of gender in two male dominated cultures: the church where only three
mainstream denominations accept women (Uniting and Baptist, and country Anglican churches)
and the police culture itself has one third of the total as female officers.

The majority of police chaplains are male Anglican Ministers (37%) followed by male Catholic Priests (18%).

If any group should be screaming discimination re Police chaplains then that group should be the female gender

Message 9 of 61
Latest reply

I dont think he will be answering that.

Message 10 of 61
Latest reply