NBN, if you dont have it, good news!

NBN launches fibre-to-the-curb technology, but existing customers won't benefit

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-08/nbn-launches-fibre-to-the-curb-technology/9631262

If you do have it, like me, your stuck with carp NBN speeds

LUCKY ME!

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Straight to the house was always the right idea in my opinion.  The copper wire to the node or to the curb is/was always going to be a problem. 

What a dilemma Australia has created for itself;   so far (and counting), it just gets cheaper and cheaper which means less and lower communication standards, generating serious problems now and for the long term future ...  Smiley Indifferent

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

i agree, fibre right into the home is how it should have been, as originally planned.

but the most expensive part of that plan was allways the last X distance from curb to inside, requires digging up driveways ect.

the turnbul plan was allways going to fail, nodes were allways going to fail.

fibre to the curb would have been the best option if he didnt go fully into homes, just leaving the expensive bit for later whilst still giving pretty good speeds.

in fact for those who wanted fibre all the way they should have had the right to have it installed by paying to have that last bit done.

or wait until the whole thing was rolled out and then the fibre into homes would start to roll out.

i would happily dig my own trench into my home, its not far and its not difficult, just tell me where to dig and how deep!

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

NBN.jpg

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

They just put the cables down in our street few weeks ago; guess it was not the fibre  😞
OPTUS is offering NBN for 40% less than the plan I have now, with getting the same.  But I guess I have no choice, because although for time being I can keep whatever I have now, it will be disconected soon. 

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@*kazumi*wrote:

They just put the cables down in our street few weeks ago; guess it was not the fibre  😞
OPTUS is offering NBN for 40% less than the plan I have now, with getting the same.  But I guess I have no choice, because although for time being I can keep whatever I have now, it will be disconected soon. 

they (the NBN folk) ran Fibre cable right past my front door, literally it passes 3 metres from my houses front wall!

BUT, my NBN feed comes via the old telstra copper cable from a "node box" about 2 klms from my house!!

so giving me Fibre to the Curb would be (to me) easy!

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

NBN complaints are soaring, this Melbourne man went back to his old cable internet service

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-17/nbn-complaint-melbourne-man-left-without-internet-six-weeks/96...

eventually he will have no choice, NBN or nothing.

once its up and running in your area you must connect to it if you want your landline to work.

fine if you scrap the landline and switch internet to mobile i guess you can go without NBN

but of course mobile internet cost a small fortune and isnt that reliable either.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I've got mobile internet for emergencies.....prepaid which is not the cheapest by any means but it is reliable, VERY reliable.

If I had to use it all the time it would not worry me at all.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@lyndal1838wrote:

I've got mobile internet for emergencies.....prepaid which is not the cheapest by any means but it is reliable, VERY reliable.

If I had to use it all the time it would not worry me at all.

i had telstra mobile internet before i got nbn, i was a long way from the nearest tower so it was ok but never very fast.

the nbn is faster, but not by much, thanks to the long distance from my node.

nbn isnt all bad, its cheaper than i had, i get loads more download (no limit) but its not what i was sold on by mr turnbull.

the copper cable was never supposed to be more than 1 kilometre to the node, i'm more than 2kms

i believe had i been within the 1km my internet would be much faster and i might be able to 'stream' content.

remember the ads with dad watching sport on tv, mum in the kitchen searching recipes, son upstairs playing online games and daughter studying online in her room, all hooked to the new beaut NBN?

in my dreams to have more than 1 device operating at one time here. if i open my laptop and it starts downloading the updates its prolly got waiting and at the same time get on my desktop to do anything it just crashes.

sure, for some the nbn works great, but not for all, and it was sold as great for all.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Latest NBN lottery reveals Australian homes set to receive new fibre-to-the-curb connection

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-19/nbn-lottery-did-you-win-and-get-fttc/9674884

Old Mal is still trying to say Labor had it all wrong!

unfortunately we will never know will we as Mals NBN is such a mess it'll never be what it should have been.

look over at NZ, how a national broad band network should be rolled out.

my view, labor had it right, fibre all the way, no copper.

country areas to get satelite or wireless.

i'm not a tech head, but even i could see putting copper in the system. very very old copper in most areas. would strangle speed.

so Mals Faster, Cheaper, Better was allways going to fail.

Fibre to the Curb was the only option that should have been in play if into the home was a problem. 10 - 20 metres of new copper would be better than 2 kilometers of grotty old decaying copper.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply