NSW Gvmnt to Halve Traffic Infringements for Centreling Recipients

NSW residents who are struggling financially will be able to apply to have their fines slashed in half, as the state government braces for the unemployment rate to hit almost 8 per cent.

The permanent changes, to take effect from July 1, will apply to anyone who receives Centrelink payments and cover fines collected by Revenue NSW, including traffic, speeding and parking fines.

It also includes police-issued infringements for offences such as stealing, offensive behaviour, and intoxicated and disorderly conduct.

But court-issued fines, voting-related fines, jury duty fines and fines issued to body corporates are exempt from the changes.

The government confirmed people currently receiving the JobKeeper payment of $1500 a fortnight through their employer will also be eligible to apply for a fine reduction.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/nsw-welfare-recipients-to-be-eligible-for-50-per-cent-discount-o...

You kidding me? 

Are we taking the knee for our convict history, here?

$1500 a fortnight! For not turning up for work!

Good wicket!

In the meantime, our farmers are struggling to keep afloat, what with the drought, the bushfires and the COVID cutting off tourism.

Government money would be better spent there, that on halving fines for traffic infringements and petty crimes!

OMG who has got the hold on our government?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

uummmm *checks notes* LNP, IPA, Murdoch, SkyNews, SMH

Don’t look at me. I didn’t vote for them

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

@lurker172602 wrote:
uummmm *checks notes* LNP, IPA, Murdoch, SkyNews, SMH

Don’t look at me. I didn’t vote for them

Nobody's looking at you, Lurks. Really.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

In the meantime, our farmers are struggling to keep afloat, what with the drought, the bushfires and the COVID cutting off tourism.

Government money would be better spent there, that on halving fines for traffic infringements and petty crimes!

Yes I  agree.   I think law-breakers need more deterrents not less, though not necessarily financial  and I don't know what.  Maybe this is the govt's way of getting some repayment of fines where right now many would not be paid at all. 

Poor farmers .......looks like it's sink or swim.  Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

"$1500 a fortnight! For not turning up for work!"

Get you facts straight then you can distort them all you want.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Our daughter recently spoke with me and hubs about her work, specifically her pay. 

She is employed 3 days p/w, and said she earns $135 more than if she was receiving the current newstart allowance.

I am not familiar with the newstart system and would think that recipients may be eligible for healthcare cards, concession travel allowances and rental assistance, and now discounted fines. Hoobluddyray!

If so, why would some even be bothered to get out of bed and look for work.

Soon, after 52 weeks of newstart you will be entitled to 4 weeks annual leave, if you elect to holiday the govt with cough up 50% of the cost, 10 or 15 years and "bingo" you now have long service leave.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

"$1500 a fortnight! For not turning up for work!"

Get you facts straight then you can distort them all you want.

my daughter is working for every cent of her jobkeeper... out of 2 stores ( 8 staff) only 3 people were eligible for it... they get about $1300 after tax

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply