New look at covid stats

Now the covid contagion is considered a pandemic of the unvaxxed , yet most detected cases recover .

Those recovered do obviously have now a measure of immunity from damaging subsequent infection exposure 

As such should these now many people be considered vaccinated ? and so added to the vaxx stats 

Should there be a certificate declaring positive vaxx status from naturally acquired immunity  that is equal in priviledge as the unnaturally acquired vaxx immunity ? 

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

New look at covid stats

No, an unvaxxed who has had the virus previously shouldn't consider themselves vaxxed, because any immunity is only short lived. A friend in the US had it early in the pandemic (actually, before it was even declared a pandemic). She showed antibodies in her blood that she'd had it. A blood test 6 months later showed zero antibodies.

My best friend's niece in Sydney currently has it for the 3rd time (she works in health. I know her, and yes it's true. SHe has now been vaccinated). She thought she was safe after catching it the first time, so wasn't as careful as she should have been.

You are right, most cases do recover. As in, they don't die. What people aren't seeing are those who despite "recovering" now have lifelong effects of having it. Fit, strapping young men, no longer able to work because they can barely walk to the front door. For some, merely trying to type something on their computer of phone, is too much. The media aren't telling people this. All they are telling people is, most recover. Therefore, most people think nothing of getting the virus, because the odds are in their favour of "recovering".

I think in time, when the annual flu needle comes out, the annual covid needle will come out too. I believe it's here to stay. Maybe they are able to combine the two into one shot? I get the flu shot every year, and other vaccinations when they come due. If I have to also get a covid vax each year, then so be it. When it gets to that point, it will be individual choice whether you have it, same as any other vax.

The one year I didn't get the flu vax, I got the (real) flu (not a cold, which so many think is the flu). I wanted to die. I have never been so sick in my life. If someone had held a gun to my head, I'd have paid them to pull the trigger. It went on for just over 2 weeks. I will never miss another flu vax!

Message 2 of 71
Latest reply

New look at covid stats

no

No

No

Message 3 of 71
Latest reply

New look at covid stats

How can a Covid patient later be classified as vaccinated when they are unvaccinated? People who have been infected can apply for a Class Exemption For Recovered Cases. But unlike vaccinated people, the exemption only lasts 90 days because immunity may only last for 90 days. It varies from person to person. Also, there are conditions. For example, some people will show positive Covid test results for months after infection and are ineligible for the Exemption until they show negative results. They cannot be treated the same as vaccinated people because their condition is less predictable, as is their immunity response to the virus.

Message 4 of 71
Latest reply

New look at covid stats

No

Stop trying to make excuses and seek special treatment for them

Unvaxxed is unvaxxed

full stop

Message 5 of 71
Latest reply

New look at covid stats

Patients who recover from COVID-19 (Omicron variant) appear to have a higher immunity to subsequent Delta infection, but this is tentative data only. The evidence is mounting that patients who have recovered from the Delta variant do not have as high an immunity to subsequent Omicron infection - but I must stress very strongly that this is early-stage data, without control groups or limits upon what type of vaccine was given, how long ago, whether the patient's immunity had waned within 3 months, etc. Hence, it's to be considered with great caution.

No public health response can be based upon incomplete and unverified data.

T-cell response appears to remain strong, particularly with AstraZeneca vaccines, but again... further data would be useful.

The immune response from previous infection does not appear to be as strong as the immune response from full vaccination. In response to Delta, the data was showing us that the immune response (actually contracting the disease) waned over the first 3-6 months, but the protection against severe disease and death remained high (not 100%, but high); in response to Omicron, the data is so far indicating significantly higher antibody evasion (higher risk of passing on the infection, higher risk of being infected, even when vaccinated, but particularly if last vaccination dose was more than 3 months ago, and even when the patient had previously contracted COVID-19).

The risk of requiring hospitalisation appears (so far) to be less than with Delta, but the sheer contagiousness of Omicron means that a smaller % of hospitalisation than Delta doesn't mean a smaller % of hospitalisation, given the overwhelming case numbers of COVID-19 (Omicron) infection.

% of cases requiring IC ... I don't want to stick my neck out too much with this, because as I've said repeatedly, we need more data. So far it appears that ICU numbers are not rising as high as hospitalisation numbers; however, we must take into account the high vaccination rates in Australia, and those rates are likely to play into lower %s of severe outcomes. So far studies point to our current vaccinations giving persistent high protection against severe illness and death.

As a point of interest, a senior Portuguese health official has revealed that roughly 90% of the patients in ICU in Lisbon are unvaccinated. Omicron became the dominant strain of COVID-19 just before Christmas, and they reimposed masks and working from home and such measures in the middle of December. They've already begun vaccinating children aged 5 and above. So... the surge being seen in infections in Portugal, and the hospitalisations, are certainly reflecting the tidal wave of Omicron, whereas the % of unvaccinated in ICU are reflecting that the unvaccinated are still disproportionately more likely to end up with severe outcomes.

Most at risk: not just the unvaccinated, but the elderly, the vulnerable, the immunocompromised.

We also see a slightly higher risk of myocarditis to healthy young men who become infected with COVID-19 (Omicron). However, further studies are required on this; it's not peer-reviewed data, so treat with caution.

Message 6 of 71
Latest reply

New look at covid stats

@rogespeed wrote:

Now the covid contagion is considered a pandemic of the unvaxxed , yet most detected cases recover .

Those recovered do obviously have now a measure of immunity from damaging subsequent infection exposure 

As such should these now many people be considered vaccinated ? and so added to the vaxx stats 

Should there be a certificate declaring positive vaxx status from naturally acquired immunity  that is equal in priviledge as the unnaturally acquired vaxx immunity ? 

Who writes this stuff...  Novak?

Message 7 of 71
Latest reply

New look at covid stats

@rogespeed wrote:

--------------

No of course the people can't be 'considered vaccinated'. They haven't been.

We need data to be absolutely accurate in defining status and an unvaxxed person is still an unvaxxed person, even if they have been ill with covid.

There is already a system in place to take account of the fact that an unvaxxed person who has had covid is likely to have some antibodies. I think it is in the form of a medical exemption but of course it isn't forever, Why would it be? The vaccinated are not being told they are good to go 'forever' either. We're all being told a booster will be required.

So, if you're an unvaccinated person who has had covid and you're in a workplace that requires vaccination, you can get the medical exemption and return to work (I know of one person who is doing this). It's only for a defined time though so I don't know what happens to that woman when the exemption expires as I know she is a rabid anti vaxxer so I guess she will have to take leave. I actually think she is being very unfair on her workplace and class of children as she is a teacher. Children here in Melb metro deserve some stability when they return to school. They have had a horrendous 2 years.

From what I was reading, with omicron there is a higher rate of reinfection because apparently there are so many variants.

From what I am seeing in real life, even vaccination doesn't mean you won't get omicron. It may mean you aren't as badly affected by it though.

What we really, really need to be seeing and what we're not (because government release of information is apparently patchy) is the numbers in ICU who are vaccinated as against unvaxxed. The last stats I saw showed the ICU wards were overwhelmingly filled with the unvaxxed.

So those who are unvaccinated but who get covid may have immunity for a while but that immunity will fade over time and there is nothing to say they can't catch omicron again and unfortunately they are more likely to end up in hospital or an ICU ward, costing us taxpayers money, than a fully vaccinated person.

Message 8 of 71
Latest reply

New look at covid stats

Right, I found these stats. They aren't entirely up to date but they are informative, don't you think?

By the end of Dec 2021, nearly half the people in hospital with covid had been vaccinated. This means the vaccination is working to reduce serious illness. If it made no difference, you'd expect 90% to be vaccinated, same as the general population.

The real interest is in the ICU numbers. On 31st Dec, not one of the 54 patients in ICU had been fully vaccinated. Not one.

vaxxed status of hospital patients to end of dec 2021.PNG

Message 9 of 71
Latest reply

New look at covid stats

Ran out of editing time to add this.

NSW stats are presented differently, a general % based over a time range, rather than a daily summary.

In the second half of 2021, only 6.7% of patients in ICU had been double vaccinated.

NSW hospital stats on vaxxed in hospital towards end of dec.PNG

Message 10 of 71
Latest reply