Nine promotes eight white men, cops it

Channel Nine promotes commentary team of eight white men, cops it

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-18/channel-9-promotes-commentary-team-of-eight-white-men,-cops-it...

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

personally i dont listen to 9's comentary, i find them all too busy telling stories of how it was 'back in the day' to notice the game in front of them.

they all need to get recordings of past great commentators and learn less is more!

what does suprise me is the comments left on this story.

so glad there is ABC radio coverage, no ads and just cricket description (mostly)

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Also listen to the the ABC for the cricket. And the football. And just about anything else when it comes to sport.
Channel 10 is pretty good with the T20 and their commentators.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Is it just me or does anyone else think it would be discriminatory to remove one of the eight men because they are the wrong sex or colour? IMO they are entitled to the jobs if they earn't them on merit and performance. It seems to me that the Civil Rights Act on Equal Employment Opportunities is being abused by some groups and individuals who are trying to hold organisations to ransom by screaming inequality. Personally, I'm getting sick of it and am stunned that more people aren't sick of it too. This really is manipulation of political correctness.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

And if I am required to fill out another pointless form with :

Are you Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.

I will scream, well inside.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@not_for_sale2017 wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else think it would be discriminatory to remove one of the eight men because they are the wrong sex or colour? IMO they are entitled to the jobs if they earn't them on merit and performance. It seems to me that the Civil Rights Act on Equal Employment Opportunities is being abused by some groups and individuals who are trying to hold organisations to ransom by screaming inequality. Personally, I'm getting sick of it and am stunned that more people aren't sick of it too. This really is manipulation of political correctness.

the problem with the 8 men is none of them are great commentators but they are all good at telling jokes about back when they played.

its all anecdotes with a sprinkling of comentary, which so often is pointing out how badly whoever is playing, and how they would be much better if they did what mr expert says from the commentary box.

i listened to some of todays channel 9 coverage of the womens 20twenty game.

oh look, the men have elbowed there way into the womens commentary box and its the same thing,

move over girls let us show you how its done!

well tubby and michael and heals, the girls commentary is actually better than yours. IMO

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

the problem with the 8 men is none of them are great commentators but they are all good at telling jokes about back when they played.

its all anecdotes with a sprinkling of comentary, which so often is pointing out how badly whoever is playing, and how they would be much better if they did what mr expert says from the commentary box.

i listened to some of todays channel 9 coverage of the womens 20twenty game.

oh look, the men have elbowed there way into the womens commentary box and its the same thing,

move over girls let us show you how its done!

well tubby and michael and heals, the girls commentary is actually better than yours. IMO

That's all very well David and I'm sure many people like commentators from both genders and of different races.  But the article title referred to "eight white men". For me that clearly sums up where they were coming from.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

they could have popped Lisa Sthalekar into the box and filled 2 criteria, a person who knows how to talk about cricket, and not white.

tumblr_mnpy40yAiX1rpkenpo1_500.jpg

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

they could have popped Lisa Sthalekar into the box and filled 2 criteria, a person who knows how to talk about cricket, and not white.

tumblr_mnpy40yAiX1rpkenpo1_500.jpg

Yes they could have. But I'm pretty sure the title would not have read, "Black woman cricketer to commentate"!

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply