Norfolk Island lost appeal and will soon be in NSW

gleee58
Community Member

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/may/21/were-not-australian-norfolk-islanders-adjust-t...

Does anyone know why they have not been allowed to get the fishing royalties for their waters?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Bit sad for them, really.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

If Colleen McCullough was still alive---she could have written a book.

The Torn Words...........................................................Richo.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

Bit sad for them, really.

Yes, it is.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Shevwas never an islander, she just purchased a house there when it was possible to do and then thought as it was a tax free haven she would invite her writer friends to join her and buy norfolk land.... the law was changed very quickly because of her... only true islanders and pitcairn families could purchase property..... she was not liked on the island

norfolk is broke makes greese look like an economic power house...  maybe the people writing these stories should do some real research and know the history of norfolk and why this has happened

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Since you have all the knowledge perhaps you could explain why they were never allowed their own fishing royalties, as that was mentioned by some of the NI locals.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

None of the locals I spoke to when I was there 5 years ago seemed to have much of a problem with her?  Anyway isn't her husband a descendent and probably entitled to own land anyway?

Anyway, it's a beautiful special little place.  I loved it when we visited, and I'd go back again.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Konadely---my early morning post---was a play on words of -The Thorn Birds.

To me -the torn words was about the situation--all the work done and revoked........Richo.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply